Butter Cream And Fondant

Decorating By tazrin Updated 17 Mar 2013 , 12:16am by shanter

tazrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tazrin Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 1:58am
post #1 of 17

Can someone please give me some advice!! I am attempting my first ever fondant cake and I know I should buttercream for the fondant... How long should I put the butterceam on in advance? I know everyone says it needs a crust but is it a case of 10 minutes with the help of the fridge or overnight?

16 replies
DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 2:15am
post #2 of 17

You'll know when your buttercream has crusted if you take a paper towel and place it on the cake - smooth it and no icing comes off icon_smile.gif
But I just wait about 15 mins and apply the fondant!
I put it in the fridge before I ice it (over night - only because I bake it the night before I decorate it)
Then ice it - put it back in the fridge - then put the fondant on - then back in the fridge (you don't have to though - (I feel it works best for me) make sure your icing is smoothed out nicely so no bumps and not tooo much icing!

-some put only a thin layer of icing - I put as much on as I would a reg. cake. putting it in the fridge before I put the fondant on and after - kinda holds everything in place - in my mind anyways! lol
if the cake is for the next day.. I leave it in the fridge sometimes - or on the counter away from any heat or sunlight! No wrong way there - as long as there is no dairy or fruit - into the fridge! icon_smile.gif GL

m_mckinney1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_mckinney1 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 2:15am
post #3 of 17

I don't like for my buttercream to crust before applying the fondant. If it is nice & fresh, the fondant will stick better to it. But I am far from a professional icon_smile.gif

tazrin Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 2:24am
post #4 of 17

thanks!! the thing is im fondanting the cake on the day of the party and ive been googling what to do and some people leave it over night (butter cream) and some butter cream and pop into the chiller for 10 minutes!! so all in all... there is no right or wrong way? icon_smile.gif

DeezTreatz Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 2:26am
post #5 of 17

No not at all - if there is no dairy your fine..
On the counter over night (icing or no icing) - fondant the day of - pop it in the fridge if you want for a bit - or leave it on the counter . Ur good to go!
I personally would put it in the fridge overnight if there is icing on it..
I get scared with the heat on lol but i'm paro!

DeezTreatz Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 2:28am
post #6 of 17

Just make sure your keeping it in a cardboard cake box so it can breath - a sealed container = bad news icon_razz.gif

tazrin Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 2:30am
post #7 of 17

so i live in western australia and its about 34 degrees celius at the moment... if i put it in the fridge and take it out later doesnt it moisten up and make the fondant soggy? maybe i'll just buttercream on the day and leave it 30 mins or so before putting the fondant on! thanks ladies you have given me some great insight icon_smile.gif

DeezTreatz Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 2:41am
post #8 of 17

It could sweat a little when you take it out of the fridge - but nothing major icon_biggrin.gif
Fondant should hold up very well in high heat...

-10 here! Brrr!

tazrin Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 2:45am
post #9 of 17

Thanks!! Hmm... i think id rather -10 then 34!! last week it got 40 something! it was ridiculous!! there was no breeze and the minute you walked outside you felt as though you breathing down an oven and could instantly feel your skin burning!! so Gross!!

DeezTreatz Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 2:48am
post #10 of 17

I wish!!! It's been 'feeling like' -22, -30 just horrible! LOL
Car doesn't want to start in the morning... the battery is dying, and I don't have winter tires on so i'm swerving around everywhere! lol Ohh canada icon_razz.gif

tazrin Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 2:54am
post #11 of 17

we were in canada nealr two years ago for christmas and we went skiing at sunpeaks and it was so quiet there! My husband and I shared a ski left with a "local" and we asked her why it was so quiet and she said that no one skies when its below -30... we were skiing in -34 at the base of the mountain and it was somethin like -37 at the top... FREEZING!! But loved it! Would love to live in the weather like that but couldt imagine driving in it.. SCARY!

DeezTreatz Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 3:08am
post #12 of 17

Hahah it's true - I won't go snowboarding if its too cold!
We had our biggest snowfall in Ontario this winter last week - and the local resorts closed for the day!
Doesn't make sense - all the fresh snow - and they closed !? icon_razz.gif
Brr -37 at the top - but as long as your are wearing the proper clothing and outerwear - it's not that bad.. Just have to make it out of the house! hehe

Babyprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babyprincess Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 3:16am
post #13 of 17

Hi. I would like to know if anyone has an easy buttercream frosting for cakes? Would appreciate the help.

tazrin Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 3:17am
post #14 of 17

HAHA! we bought all our top of the line australian gear and after the first run (a 5 mile run) i couldnt feel any part of my body... visit to the ski shop and new gear later we were set.. only part idont like is when you've been out all day and the minute you go into the warm and you get excruciating pain in you feet and legs as they thaw!! we love it though! looking to head back at the end of the year for christmas!!

the -37 at top wasnt bad it was more the wind chill that kills you icon_razz.gif

i would love to board but im so uncoordinated its not funny!!

caKe JUNKEE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caKe JUNKEE Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 12:48pm
post #15 of 17

ATHIS FORUM is about cakes, NOT WEATHER AND SKIING. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

NJsugarmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NJsugarmama Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 1:30pm
post #16 of 17

A

Original message sent by caKe JUNKEE

THIS FORUM is about cakes, NOT WEATHER AND SKIING. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Yikes. Calm down sista, no need to "yell." I suggest subscribing if you don't like their convo.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 12:16am
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by caKe JUNKEE 

THIS FORUM is about cakes, NOT WEATHER AND SKIING. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

I believe the OP's question was answered more than 2 years ago. Why resurrect the thread?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%