Fondant Covered Cupcakes

Baking By yummy_in_my_tummy Updated 9 Feb 2011 , 12:51pm by Chellescakes

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 4

Hi Everyone!

I need some help making ladybug cupcakes for a babyshower. The mom-to-be wants a cake, but also cupcakes for the favors so my plan was to bake the cupcakes a few days before and then freeze them so I can cover them in fondant the weekend of the shower.

I've never done fondant on cupcakes before, but I saw something about putting the fondant on the cupcakes when they're warm because the fondant kind of melts on and sticks better.

My question is.... do you think freezing, then thawing and then zapping in the microwave for a few seconds to warm them up will dry them out??

Also, another question... if she wants them filled with BC, should I bake, fill, freeze then thaw and microwave to cover in fondant? Or should I bake, freeze, thaw, fill with BC and then microwave? I don't think I'd have to zap them for too long to warm the tops up, not sure if it would make the BC too soft??

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 4:15am
post #2 of 4

I fondant cover cupcakes, and I'd never put them in the micro. I normally pipe a pillow of buttercream then cover with the fondant, either tucking the fondant into the paper or leaving a lip off the sides. Buttercream helps keep them all look uniform.

If you want to use fondant without buttercream, you might want to do a poured fondant instead of rolled. Then you just dip the tops.

Cupcakes dry out fast enough without nuking them!

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 12:42am
post #3 of 4

Thank you! I will probably just do it that way - it will save me time b/c I won't have to fill them icon_smile.gif

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 12:51pm
post #4 of 4

I cover cupcakes with rolled fondant all the time , I either use a thin layer of ganache on top of the cake , white chocolate or ordinary choc , or I brush the cake with a little sugar syrup ( this can be flavoured if you like I usually use rose essence or peach liqueur )

I never warm them and have not had a problem with them sticking .

for the lady beetles I just use a round cutter that will give me the right size to cover the whole cupcake . I usually give it a bit of a smooth out with some acetate to make sure it is ice and smooth and shaped right.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%