Can I Use The Push Pillars For Stability Instead Of Dowels?

Decorating By Pamcakes3 Updated 8 Feb 2011 , 2:23pm by cakedout

Pamcakes3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pamcakes3 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making a two-tiered Cleveland Cassata for a wedding on Saturday and to avoid any possible weight/stability issues, I was wondering if I could use the Push Pillars instead of dowels? Are they easily cut down? Does anyone have any experience with this method? TIA.

5 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 6

I wouldn't cut them down... use hidden pillars instead, or SPS in the correct height that you need.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 12:54pm
post #3 of 6

Here are some plastic dowel rods from wilton that can also be cut down to size. I've used these in the large cake bases for my 4 and 5 tier cakes.

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E3127EA-475A-BAC0-5F98F056B4A6DC92&fid=BCA9E6A3-475A-BAC0-53B406C7C7B7E983

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 1:13pm
post #4 of 6

I use the plastic dowel rods by Wilton and love them! I feel so much more comfortable with them than I did the wooden dowels. My hubby bought me a pair of PVC pipe cutters from the hardware store (less than $10) and I can cut them down with ease. Better yet, I cut them straight.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 6

Edna uses something similar to the Wilton hollow plastic dowels---hers are cardboard but are used the same way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvaCSW78ybc&feature=player_embedded

I love Edna's tutorials!

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 2:23pm
post #6 of 6

I used the single-plate and cut spiked pillars all the time! I didn't like using the hidden pillars because they took out such a big chunk of cake as opposed to the spiked pillars that only made a small hole.

Luckily I had a hubby with a wood shop, so I would use his band saw to cut the bottoms off the short pillars to the size I needed. I purchased the brand from CK Products that were mostly straight with a round head, rather than the square rams horn head on the Wilton ones.

If you don't have access to a band saw, or a jigsaw, I think I recall using a small hacksaw on occasion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%