Has Anyone Used Carob Chips Before

Baking By SleeplessBaker Updated 7 Feb 2011 , 10:00pm by SleeplessBaker

SleeplessBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SleeplessBaker Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 10

Under new Yorks Home processor law I am not allowed to sell chocolate or cand melt covered cake pops because of their dairy content. Carob chips are non dairy and I can use them as a chocolate substatute. I need to know if any one hase used them before to cover cake pops or to dip cookies in. Does it harden like chocolate. Or if you have any other sugestions that would work for dipping cake pops I would realy apreciate it.
Thank you.

9 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 10

can you do a poured fondant like for petit fours?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 10

Chocolate doesn't spoil....are you sure that law includes hard chocolate candy?????

Anyway...carob is not close enough to chocolate to be able to sell it in place of chocolate.....it is okay if you are allergic to chocolate, but is not a good substitute if you are hoping for regular chocolate.

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 10

semi sweet should not have dairy in it

SleeplessBaker Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 9:21pm
post #5 of 10

I am assuming it;s their dairy content because when I was talking to the guy about using candy melts he had me read the ingrediants and said it had a lot of dairy in it. I could also be the melting of it. Their site states 'Tempering chocolate for molding or dipping is not allowed" I really don't understand why they wont allow chocolate. So I thought candy melt they won't allow those either. My other option is Almond bark found in the baking section. I'd also like to use the butterscotch chips and penutbutter chips. I feel if I ask the dept. of Agriculture they'll say no. But I need to know so I don't get in trouble. I mean it is so cunfusion because you are alowed to sell fudge.

Kitagrl Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 9:28pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessBaker

I am assuming it;s their dairy content because when I was talking to the guy about using candy melts he had me read the ingrediants and said it had a lot of dairy in it. I could also be the melting of it. Their site states 'Tempering chocolate for molding or dipping is not allowed" I really don't understand why they wont allow chocolate. So I thought candy melt they won't allow those either. My other option is Almond bark found in the baking section. I'd also like to use the butterscotch chips and penutbutter chips. I feel if I ask the dept. of Agriculture they'll say no. But I need to know so I don't get in trouble. I mean it is so cunfusion because you are alowed to sell fudge.

LOL that's absolutely retarded not to be able to resell an ingredient that is sold on a shelf in the store and has a long shelf life! WOW! Oh well. icon_smile.gif I feel sorry for you!!!!

Does it have something to do with saturated or trans fats?

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 9:29pm
post #7 of 10

I'm not sure about the rules, but it's possible that the person didn't understand that only "real"/pure chocolate needs to be tempered. Tempering doesn't have anything to do with dairy content, from what I understand. Chocolate chips, when melted, do not need to be tempered because of the additives added to hold their shape. Candy melts also do not need to be tempered.

sugarplumfairycanada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarplumfairycanada Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 9:30pm
post #8 of 10

Have you tasted carob? very different from chocolate. I am not a fan of it.

Kitagrl Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 9:37pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarplumfairycanada

Have you tasted carob? very different from chocolate. I am not a fan of it.

My mom was allergic to chocolate and she enjoyed it because it was similar, but I didn't like it. I think I've only had it in one cookie that I actually liked...otherwise...bleh.

I think carob chips and chocolate chips should be exactly the same as far as safety and food laws.

SleeplessBaker Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 10:00pm
post #10 of 10

Yes I tried a carob chip cookie a while ago and I liked it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%