Cupcake Fun For 200 6Th Graders - Need To Cut Costs

Baking By bethasd Updated 7 Feb 2011 , 10:29pm by djs328

bethasd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethasd Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 7

I was asked to run cupcake decorating for 200 6th graders. The school ordered "naked" cupcakes and I will provide frosting and decorations. I went to a bulk store and bought tons of jimmies, non-pareils, gummies, etc. I need help reducing the cost of my buttercream. Any thoughts?

6 replies
martinez73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martinez73 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 3:00pm
post #2 of 7

If you have a Sam's near you they have a 5 gallon bucket of bettercream frosting and it will be more then plenty. The price was 30 or 35 dollars. I made 200 cupcakes for my wedding and I had more then enough.

bethasd Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 7

No Sam's Club but there is a Walmart nearby. Would they have it there? Is bettercream different from what I would buy from their bakery? For example, could I go to their bakery department and ask to buy 5 gal. of frosting?

GamecockGal21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GamecockGal21 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 6:52pm
post #4 of 7

I think buying the frosting versus making would be a whole lot cheaper and seeing as you'd have to find carrying containers, the most friendly choice.

I know you didn't ask this, but being someone who knows the habits of 6th graders all too well....I'm offering this tip:

For cleanliness sake I would offer the cupcake on a small plate and serve the appropriate amount of icing in a small portion cup with a plastic knife or spoon. Along with that, I would not allow them to go crazy with the sprinkles and other toppings or you may be "out" before 50 cupcakes get gone.

I am just saying this via experience. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 7:06pm
post #5 of 7

Walmart is well-known for donating items to schools. Not sure on your lead-time, you may have to go thru corp. but might be worth a shot!?

bethasd Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 7

I'm going to try Walmart tomorrow & see what I can come up with. Also, great idea on the individual cups. A couple moms will be helping me so maybe we'll scoop out the icing with an ice cream scoop. I have a feeling the sprinkles, etc. are going to disappear quickly. Definitely going to need a cocktail after this one icon_surprised.gif Oh, feel free to offer any other tips!

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 10:29pm
post #7 of 7

Oh, popsicle sticks work well for spreaders also, and might be cheaper than plastic knives... icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%