Loopy Bow Failure!

Decorating By jessyummycakes Updated 8 Feb 2011 , 12:16am by jessyummycakes

jessyummycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessyummycakes Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 9:32am
post #1 of 6

I attempted to make a loopy and failed dismally. icon_cry.gif
Days ahead I made about 25 loops of varying sizes. They all dried well and looked fine. It all went pear shaped when I attempted assembly. I just couldnt seem to find a "fit". The bottom row seemed fine. The second row ordinary and the third row shocking. I tried to use sugar paste glue and a piece of fondant as a base. I let it sit overnight and it fell apart in the morning. Which I suspected it would!

5 replies
MamaD77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaD77 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 9:50am
post #2 of 6

Hi there,

oh no! you poor thing, so frustrating these bows! icon_cry.gif

That happened to me too, but my second one worked better. I found that what worked best for me was to make the loops and assemble all in one go whilst the fondant is still soft and pliable, and to keep them in the puffy shape needed whilst they dry, you can either use cotton wool balls wrapped in saran wrap, or just more of the wrap scrunched up to support the loops as they dry. It also helps to have a small flat paintbrush and some water to lightly brush the ends of the loops, as this helps them to stick together.

I've only done a couple of these, so am by no means an expert, but wanted to share with you that you're not the only one to have done this!

Good luck with the next one! thumbs_up.gif

Mama D

ChilliPepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChilliPepper Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 11:13am
post #3 of 6

Did you use wires or toothpicks in the base of the loops? Works much better than trying to stick loops onto the cake and each other as I found out through trial and error.

CP x

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 11:21am
post #4 of 6

I always dry my loops around a small pvc pipe and let them hang and dry. While they are wet I insert toothpicks into the ends of them and then assemble my bow in the cake, sticking the toothpicks directly into the cake. Works so much better than trying to assemble a bow on a base then putting it onto the cake.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 1:11pm
post #5 of 6

Please take a look at the instructions in my signature. You may find the solution there.

jessyummycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessyummycakes Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 12:16am
post #6 of 6

Thank you everyone, some really great advice! and thats why "yes" I am totally addicted to this site! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%