Business Plan Book Recommendations

Business By CiNoRi Updated 6 Feb 2011 , 5:52am by cheatize

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 10

Not to hijack this thread....But speaking of business plans/ opening a store.... can anyone recommend a good book for a how to

and

either a book on writing (baking specific) or a sample business plan?

9 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiNoRi

Not to hijack this thread....But speaking of business plans/ opening a store.... can anyone recommend a good book for a how to

and

Business Resource Software, Inc. (businessplans.org)
Entrepreneur.com
Palo Alto Software, Inc. (bplans.com)

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiNoRi

and

I've finally taken IndyDebi's advice and bought the book E-Myth (the new additions are titled E-Myth Revisited. It truely is a great book for anyone thinking about running their own business and although the information is relevant to any type of business, the author uses a woman who owns a pie shop as his main example throughout. I just finished reading it, and I can say that it was truely a book that changed the way I looked at the possibility of opening up a store-front business!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 10

Go to the Small Business Administration web site. They have sample business plans you can download and modify, a bunch of information about starting a business and access to retired business people who will help you (the SCORE program) all for free.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 5:12pm
post #5 of 10

I would strongly suggest an intro accounting class at a local college if you don't have any business experience. Business law and a money and banking class would be a plus. Filling in blanks on a business plan will not help you in the daily running of a business.

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 12:04am
post #6 of 10

"e-Myth Mastery" is actually more helpful and doesn't have the sappy stories about Sarah and her aunt. I ordered a business plan template (for a bakery) with financials and suggestion on-line for about $40. Downloaded immediately. It's basically a "fill-in-the-blank" thing and they tell you phrases not to use.

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 2:03am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mombabytiger

"e-Myth Mastery" is actually more helpful and doesn't have the sappy stories about Sarah and her aunt..

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
yes, I have to admit there was a lot of syrupy sweet goo coating the characters, but if you can look past the horrid "story-time" parts- the ideas are worth it...I will have to pick up the E-Mastery soon and check it out, makes me hopeful to hear there's no corny stories going on in that one!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 2:17am
post #8 of 10

The E-Myth storytelling was a little over the top. "She looked deep into my eyes and said,....". His prose just goes too far, like a high school creative writing class.

CakesGoneSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesGoneSweet Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 2:28am
post #9 of 10

Google your local SCORE office. Our local office has free 1/2 workshops on business plan building and full day weekend workshops on other subjects including market research. I highly recommend it and they also have volunteers to do one on one mentoring.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 5:52am
post #10 of 10

You could also try college textbooks. Used, of course. Those things are way too expensive to buy new. The book I used for my Principles of Business class is one of the few I kept. It has all the steps for a business plan and explains them all, too. They won't be cake specific, of course, but the steps you take to create a business plan will include market specific research that you will do and that's what will make it cake specific.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%