Help! Cat Whiskers

Decorating By kkswmmr114 Updated 7 Feb 2011 , 1:30am by KathysCC

kkswmmr114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkswmmr114 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 2:19pm
post #1 of 30

So I am doing a cake that is due tonight at 5... and I totally forgot about the whiskers!! It is an RKT cat covered in modeling chocolate sitting on a pillow (that's the cake). I was thinking maybe angel hair pasta may work... but would that look wierd because of the color?? The cat that I'm modeling it after has white whiskers, so it wouldn't be a huge stretch color-wise. Any other ideas??

29 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 2:25pm
post #2 of 30

Go to the Asian section of the grocery store (or an Asian store). They have many types of white noodles that can be used for whiskers. I especially like the Somen noodles.

Manderly42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manderly42 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Go to the Asian section of the grocery store (or an Asian store). They have many types of white noodles that can be used for whiskers. I especially like the Somen noodles.

I was going to suggest pasta, but DianeLM not only beat me to it, but came up with an even better idea of using Asian pasta which is white!! AWESOME!!!

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 30

Not sure what its called... might even be the Somen noodles.... but they do have a Clear noodle that I can usually find at my Asian market.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 30

I would get the string licorice and dip it in melted white chocolate...that way it is truly edible and it has a little flexibility, making it look more realistic.

kkswmmr114 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 2:59pm
post #6 of 30

The asian noodles are a great idea!! Thank you!! I live in a very secluded area, I may not have them at my store... but I will keep it in mind for next time and stock up.

LogansMommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LogansMommie Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 3:09pm
post #7 of 30

I don't know how big your cake is (but if you didn't mind having a non-edible element) - I used the base of a stamen before for my wiskers. (My recent hello kitty cake). I just warned the mom about them.

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 3:17pm
post #8 of 30

Another idea non-edible idea...check a hobby store that sells model making stuff... they should have plastic "wire"- Clear and colored...almost looks like fiber optic strands.

just a thought

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 3:47pm
post #9 of 30

If you put a 3 tip on your piping bag, you can stick the pasta in your piping bag and the icing will stick to the pasta. I've done this a lot and you can use any color buttercream you need. Be careful as the pasta is very fragile. I've broke a few off before I realized how slow and careful you have to be.

DianeLM Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 3:53pm
post #10 of 30

You could also make the whiskers out of gumpaste with a clay gun. Since they'll be so thin, they'll dry pretty fast.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:04pm
post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

If you put a 3 tip on your piping bag, you can stick the pasta in your piping bag and the icing will stick to the pasta.

This works well... it covers the pasta if you pipe while slowly removing it.

kkswmmr114 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:17pm
post #12 of 30

I have never heard of covering the pasta in icing... that's a good idea!!

I had completely forgot I have an extruder now, I only bought one this week. Now I feel like an idiot for not thinking of it before!! lol.

I used the extruder and made them out of gumpaste... and I didn't have to go to the store, yay! Thank you so much guys!! All of the ideas were great. Now I just have to figure out how to attach them...

DianeLM Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:21pm
post #13 of 30

Poke a hole in the cat's cheek. Dip the whisker in melted chocolate. Insert, hold, try not to break. icon_smile.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 6:29pm
post #14 of 30

I've made lit candles too by putting the pasta inside the bag and piping onto it. then after it's on the cake, I use a different color frosting to make the flame on the candle. Works great.

I'd definitely go this way for the whiskers. You don't have to worry about trying to match up color OR texture.

DianeLM Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 8:10pm
post #15 of 30

Although I'm a fan of the icing on pasta technique, I disagree that it's the best technique for this application. Cat's whiskers are very thin. And the cat on the pillow probably isn't very big. I think the icing on pasta whiskers will be too thick.

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 8:33pm
post #16 of 30

I used rice noodles to make the antennae on my lady bug cake. You can use them straight for whiskers since they are white. I dyed mine with black food color to make them black.

kkswmmr114 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 9:07pm
post #17 of 30

I will definately keep in mind the icing on pasta techinque... but I went with the gumpaste in this case. They are holding up well and I like the way they look. The final product is in my pics.

Thank you DianeLM for the attaching suggestion! When it came to attaching them I had no idea what to do... I guess I still have some basics left to learn. Lol.

cownsj Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 9:39pm
post #18 of 30

The whiskers look great and the hat is adorable.

DianeLM Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 10:37pm
post #19 of 30

Looks great! Glad I could help. icon_smile.gif

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 11:41pm
post #20 of 30

Just in case someone else didn't suggest this. I made cat whiskers from thin spagetti and painted the spaghetti with Wilton brown gel color that was watered down with vanilla. It works really well.

DianeLM Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 11:45pm
post #21 of 30

For the future, I recommend using unbreakable gel. It comes in white and clear. The clear makes the most awesome whiskers! And they're flexible!

cownsj Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 12:12am
post #22 of 30
Quote:

For the future, I recommend using unbreakable gel. It comes in white and clear. The clear makes the most awesome whiskers! And they're flexible!

What is unbreakable gel? I never heard of it, and where would you get it?

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 6:21am
post #23 of 30

Doesn't icing or food color soften the noodle? I've wondered about that.

cownsj Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 2:30pm
post #24 of 30

Surprisingly, I've never had the icing soften the spaghetti, and I've used it vertically as a candle and they've last for days before the cake was gone.

DianeLM Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 4:01pm
post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Quote:

You can get it at Global Sugar Art. I used it for the lacy coral on this cake (with added gel color) http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1801447/1801462

TabbieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TabbieCakes Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 4:45pm
post #26 of 30

Diane, you're the greatest. Great ideas and fabulous cake. I was going to suggest the unbreakable gel but you beat me to it. I've never used it, but am dying for an excuse to buy and try it! I saw this post and wished I was making a cat cake for this reason! Lol! To the O.P. I would keep this in mind for next time, but glad it all worked out. Great ideas posted here. Love this site.

DianeLM Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 4:56pm
post #27 of 30
Quote:
Quote:

Diane, you're the greatest. Great ideas and fabulous cake.

icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif Oh, go on! No, really. GO ON! hehehe

I've been wanting unbreakable gel for years, but it wasn't available in the US until recently. It was very difficult and strange to work with, but the results were well worth it.

I just made a Spiderman cake and FORGOT about my unbreakable gel until after I made all the webs out of stupid royal icing! Grrrrrr! So mad at myself for that! The curse of having too much stuff. icon_smile.gif

I hope you get some and enjoy it. And remember to use it. LOL

TabbieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TabbieCakes Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 9:18pm
post #28 of 30

LOL!! I will! (And I do know what you mean about too much stuff!)

cownsj Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 12:11am
post #29 of 30
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Quote:

You can get it at . I used it for the lacy coral on this cake (with added gel color) http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1801447/1801462

Thank you so much for posting that. You cake is incredible and I LOVE how the unbreakable gel looks.

I love all the stuff I've learned on this site.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 1:30am
post #30 of 30

Oooo, unbreakable gel...never heard of it. Thanks Diane...and your coral is so cool looking! I have to try this! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%