Edible Print On Other Surfaces?

Decorating By brokenscale Updated 7 Feb 2011 , 8:26pm by icingimages

brokenscale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brokenscale Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 9:42am
post #1 of 5

I have a cannon printer setup that i use and love. I just started doing some chocolate work. Since the ink is coacoa butter, could i print onto transfer sheets and use them on chocolate or will this not work?

4 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 5

Unless you have a special cocoa butter printer, you are not using cocoa butter. Edible image printers use a water-based food dye for ink. Cocoa butter wouldn't work because it would not stay liquid without a heat source.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 3:51pm
post #3 of 5

Actually, we do have coco transfer sheets that you can print on using the edible ink printer. The colors are not as vivid as they would be if you were printing on the white icing sheets, but it does work. You would want to play around with it a bit to see how it works for you on different types of coloring. You can also use the icing sheets. We carry chocolate icing sheets which are great with darker colors and give a sephia type finish. The clearest icing sheets are produced with the white icing sheets since the back ground is white.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 5

Debbie, there's no description or information on the site about these chocolate transfer and icing sheets.

If I understand correctly, the chocolate icing sheet would be used to attach an image to brown chocolate, where the white sheet doesn't look as good.

And the chocolate transfer sheet... you print on chocolate with the standard edible ink, then 'rub' the chocolate and ink off onto a surface? What surfaces does it work on besides chocolate? Fondant?

In any case, neither of these use cocoa butter as ink, correct?

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 8:26pm
post #5 of 5

This is a relatively new product. But you would actually pour the temperred chocolate on to the reveresed printed image. Once set you would peal off the backing and the choco butter with the image would remain on the chocolate. The colors are not as vivid as they would be if on the white icing sheet. If putting them on darker chocolate they do not show up well either. Because the heat loosens the image, I do not know how it would work on the fondant unless it was heated.

The cocoa butter is on the transfer sheet, it is not ink, you would use your regular edible inks on it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%