Help With 3D Baby Crib Mold -- Please?!?!

Decorating By mvucic Updated 29 Oct 2013 , 2:19pm by dawnybird

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 7:38am
post #1 of 11

Hi All!

I bought this 3D crib mold a while back just for fun, and the opportunity has arrived to use it.

http://www.cakescookiesandcraftsshop.co.uk/acatalog/3D-Baby-Cradle-Chocolate-Mould.html

I tried giving it a go with gumpaste this evening, but it was difficult to remove. Anyone have any tips on getting your gumpaste out of these types of molds? I tried dusting with cornstarch and powdered sugar, with no luck!

TIA!

10 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 8:02am
post #2 of 11

The mold is for chocolate. Perhaps that's the problem. I have the same mold, but it's all in one sheet- not separate pieces. I've never used it but I know it's very detailed and pretty shallow. Have you tried sticking it in the freezer to see if that firms up the gumpaste enough for removal?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 11

Cheatize is right. Stick the mold in the freezer for 5-10 minutes before removing the pieces.

Once you remove the pieces from the freezer, they may develop some condensation, so let them sit undisturbed, after unmolding, til they're dry. Of course, you're going to let them sit for a LONG time to firm up anyway! icon_smile.gif

And rather than using powders, try a little shortening to grease the mold. Just a very thin film.

mvucic Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 12:39am
post #4 of 11

Thank you both for your reply. It did state that they would work with gumpaste, but offered no tips on how to get them out of the mold.

Thanks again!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 6:19am
post #5 of 11

After I posted last night, I did go back and notice it said it works with gumpaste, too. I bought mine locally and they were in the with the chocolate molds. They are detailed and shallow so I assumed they were just for chocolate. Did you get it to work yet? If not, perhaps you could make it out of chocolate instead.

mvucic Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 6:26am
post #6 of 11

I'm thinking I'll try it again with gum paste and grease it up a bit. If not, I'll give the chocolate a go. It'll probably work with chocolate, I'm just a little concerned about attaching all the pieces together and it being sturdy enough icon_smile.gif

Will let you know how it goes icon_smile.gif

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 7:04am
post #7 of 11

I agree with the other posters that say to put the mold in the freezer for a few minutes and it should pop right out. I think it would work beautifully in chocolate also. Just attach the pieces with melted chocolate. I actually have a cutter set just like this and I made it out of gumpaste and attached the pieces with RI. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to assemble. Look in my pics if you want to see it assembled.

mvucic Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 8:04am
post #8 of 11

Bonnell, your crib and cake is incredible! That's chocolate?!?! It's look so delicate!

I just molded one piece of it and it's waiting for me in the freezer. Hopefully it'll come right out and I can continue with the other pieces tomorrow.

Thanks for your help!

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 8:31pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks, Mvucic. My cradle was not chocolate, it was gumpaste. The set I have is not a mould but cutters. Did you end up using gumpaste or chocolate? Post pictures when you are done.

TatianaS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TatianaS Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 1:59pm
post #10 of 11

AI am very new to everything about caking and decorating. I got same mold and it has no instructions at all. My question is, how to use it with chocolate? Do I need to treat it with something before use? Or just pour melted chocolate in clean mold and that's it? Thank you.

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 2:19pm
post #11 of 11

The Sugar Delites website has a cutter set that looks great. It's called "Crib Classical Large". Of course it costs $30. They have a picture of the finished product (gumpaste) and it looks great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%