Usa Today: Prices Starting To Creep Higher

Business By indydebi Updated 18 Feb 2011 , 1:28am by luckylibra

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 4:54pm
post #31 of 36

Interesting chart, jason_kraft. If I remember the ol' homestead correctly, hens lay more in warmer weather. More eggs=more supply=lower prices?

With the fluctuations I'm noticing, it looks like I may have to be more attentive to the changes this year lest I sell myself short. I'm already considering ways to make my product less expensive for customers without sacrificing my profit. Meaning: I'm working on my "angle." I'm figuring out how to present myself in a way that is comfortable for me while also showing my customer why I'm their best option.

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 10:02pm
post #32 of 36

I'd be floating on clouds if I could buy a dozen eggs for 1.39 or 88 cents. I'd probably faint if I saw them for 88 cents!

I'm in Canada. The last doz eggs I found on sale, were at my local drugstore at 1.99.

Average price of one doz large eggs in my area supermarkets is 2.69 and up with 2.69 being a steal.

The AP flour I like & usually buy, was on sale last week at $14.99 for a 10 kg bag. I ended up buying the store brand instead cause it was cheaper at $8.99 per 10 kg..
My Cake & pastry flour, a 2 kg bag, cheapest I could find $5.99, my favourite l brand was $6.99.

I don't have a biz and do next to nothing in cakes nowadays, so buying wholesale in not an option.

Its interesting to see the differences in prices between US & Canada though. Always an eye opener when they're posted.

Thought I'd add an egg pricing chart for Canada for anyone that would like to compare.

http://www3.agr.gc.ca/apps/aimis-simia/rp/index-eng.cfm?report_format_type_code=11&action=gR&signature=CB558273A5848A632B97E9E12BE8E069&pdctc=&r=116&pTpl=1&btnDownload=View

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 11:44pm
post #33 of 36

Did you see the news last night? The world bank stated the price of food skyrocketed upward 29% just last year alone (and shows no sign of slowing down.) icon_confused.gif

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 12:36am
post #34 of 36

I'm in the city and we've just in the last year, had a bylaw passed that we can keep up to 4 chickens in our back yards, if we provide proper shelter and care.
There was even talk of city council putting aside 10 grand for an abandoned chicken shelter, cause they expected people to dump the chickens when they got tired of looking after them. So far thats only happened a few times so no shelter has been needed. Yet..

Considering we already have displaced coyotes roaming the back lane looking for food, & skunks & racoons wandering about regularly. Trying to keep 4 chickens safe from these prowling critters would be a full time job.
For the amount of eggs we might be lucky to get, I'd rather pay extra and buy my eggs at the store!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 9:28pm
post #35 of 36

The USDA is forecasting a 2-3% annual increase in 2011 for the Food CPI (Consumer Price Index), with eggs targeted at 2.5-3.5%.

http://www.ers.usda.gov/Briefing/CPIFoodAndExpenditures/Data/cpiforecasts.htm

luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 1:28am
post #36 of 36

I am set for eggs. My sister (bless her crazy little heart) got the urge a couple of years ago to raise chickens for her kids to show at 4H but also for another hobby for her( she goes overboard a bit and now has I think 12) so..... I get free eggs. I would share if you all lived close.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%