Business Name

Business By Kitagrl Updated 7 Feb 2011 , 10:54pm by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:13am
post #1 of 3

I've had my business name for awhile "Cakes by (my name)". I found out that a few hours away, there is another caker with the identical business name but different spelling of (my name). There is a third caker that has an identical business name but uses her first and middle name so at least its not quite as confusing.

Is there anything I can do about this? If I decide in the future to do some sort of trademark (looked confusing and expensive when I researched it just now) would it cover just my spelling, or the entire name of the business?

I looked up the first girl's site and its not really a competitor, she's hours away and she doesn't do the same kind of designs but I would rather people not accidentally happen upon her site if they forget how to spell my name...

Just curious. I have a lot more Google stuff on my business but still....wondering if I should take additional steps to protect my business name, and what those would be.

(Yes I know my link is right at the bottom but I didn't want this post coming up in Google searches with the other website names!)

2 replies
cms2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cms2 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 3

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question...but I do know there's a Cakes by Suzy (or Susie I'm not quite sure) just a few miles down the road from me. She's between Gettysburg and Littlestown, PA, so I'm not sure if this is one of the cake decorators you're referring to or not. As far as I know she does not have a website. I also don't think she does fondant cakes or gumpaste work. I see her occasionally advertise in our local paper when they have a wedding section but that's it. HTH

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cms2

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question...but I do know there's a Cakes by Suzy (or Susie I'm not quite sure) just a few miles down the road from me. She's between Gettysburg and Littlestown, PA, so I'm not sure if this is one of the cake decorators you're referring to or not. As far as I know she does not have a website. I also don't think she does fondant cakes or gumpaste work. I see her occasionally advertise in our local paper when they have a wedding section but that's it. HTH

Yes its the "sie" spelling and she does have a simple website....

I'm kind of kicking myself now, for not having a more unique name...but I named my business before I was legal and then ended up keeping the name after I got my license so that people would not be confused.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%