Okay, Stupid Question Time....

Decorating By caleyb Updated 7 Feb 2011 , 6:37pm by caleyb

caleyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caleyb Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 2:44am
post #1 of 19

I am a relative newby to cake decorating. I am making a two tier bridal shower cake. I have 3 inch round pans and am using 14" and 10". After torting and filling the layers it looks so "short"....my question is when you are making round cakes - do you bake and use TWO of each size for the layers or one? I looked at alot of your cakes and each layer looks so tall...mine definitely don't come close.

18 replies
kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 2:48am
post #2 of 19

I do 2 of each size cake and torte each cake. So I end up with four layers of cake and three layers of filling for each tier. HTH

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 2:49am
post #3 of 19

Are you saying you only use 1 of each size? Or are you using 2 of each size, and torting and layer those (now 4 pcs)?

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 2:51am
post #4 of 19

I do the same as kaat...4 layers of cake, 3 filling. My cakes are ususally around 4 inches tall. I think that's the norm.

caleyb Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 2:57am
post #5 of 19

thank you! I have time - will get some more cake mixes tomorrow, bake another layer of each, tort, and I should be good to go. I appreciate your input!

kaat Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 3:00am
post #6 of 19

don't forget to post pics when you're done! icon_biggrin.gif

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 3:11am
post #7 of 19

yep same here! two cakes per layer, but i usually use 2" tall pans

caleyb Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 3:14am
post #8 of 19

I had used 2" pans in the past but thought perhaps I needed the 3" ones....really, probably wasted my money but lesson learned.

kaat Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:12am
post #9 of 19

You can always bake a 2" cake in a 3" pan. A 3" cake in a 2" pan is a little trickier!

melissad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissad Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:25am
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleyb

I had used 2" pans in the past but thought perhaps I needed the 3" ones....really, probably wasted my money but lesson learned.

I wouldn't consider the 3" pans a waste of money. I started with 2" and have been switching over to 3"s. I still use 2 cakes per layer, but get a little extra height. (Plus I have a terrible tendency to overfill the 2" pans ending up with a "lip" on top where the cake rose over the edge. icon_redface.gif )

caleyb Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 3:35pm
post #11 of 19

Here's a pic of the cake - I so wish I could smooth buttercream nicely - but after a long patient try at it I said forget it and did another "pattern"....It was well received so I can't complain, I guess.

caleyb Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 3:38pm
post #12 of 19

Sorry, wouldn't let me upload the pic? Any idea why? I have tried before and not had luck at uploading pics, too.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 3:38pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleyb

Here's a pic of the cake - I so wish I could smooth buttercream nicely - but after a long patient try at it I said forget it and did another "pattern"....It was well received so I can't complain, I guess.

Pictures aren't uploading to the forums right now... can you load them into your gallery so we can see?

Niki11784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki11784 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 3:47pm
post #14 of 19

On the topic of height- what happens if you don't torte the 2'' layers? I am doing a tiered cake now, and I was planning on doing 2 - 2'' layers, but not torting it. Am I going to lose a substantial amount of height?

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 4:13pm
post #15 of 19

Many use only two layers (no torting). You just have to make sure you are getting nice full layers! This is where the 3" pans come in handy.

Niki11784 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 4:26pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed82

Many use only two layers (no torting). You just have to make sure you are getting nice full layers! This is where the 3" pans come in handy.

Are the tiered cakes in your photos torted? or 2 - 3'' layers?

caleyb Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 6:03pm
post #17 of 19

okay, I posted the pic. Would like some feedback - it always helps!

Niki11784 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 6:07pm
post #18 of 19

Its really pretty! I like the way the frosting is on the sides- very cool look. Did you end up torting one pan or two pans?

caleyb Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 6:37pm
post #19 of 19

I torted two pans for each layer and it was really too big....perhaps 1 and a half would have been perfect but 1 was too "short" and two was too big....but there were leftovers so the bride and her father, especially, were happy!!! Better to have too much than too little.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%