Help! I Need My Mousse Filling To Set, Fast!

Decorating By katie11 Updated 4 Feb 2011 , 9:19pm by katie11

katie11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie11 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 3

I was so excited to try my first scratch cake that I forgot to make the mousse filling first so that it would have time to set. Are there any tricks to make it set faster? Could I stick it in the freezer to speed things up? The recipe is a gelatin base with buttermilk sugar syrup folded together with whipped up whipping cream. Right now it is in the fridge. The recipe says it needs 4 to 6 hours to set - I need it to be ready in about 3 hours.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Katie

(Just realized I posted this under "Cake Decorating" instead of "How Do I ..." Sorry for the double post.)

2 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 3

I would certainly put it in the freezer(i have at times.) but, i watch it closely. Maybe 30 minutes. I,ve never made it with buttermilk.Can you share your recipe also. tia

katie11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie11 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 3

It was a recipe from Taste of the South:

Buttermilk Filling

1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 c. whole buttermilk (divided)
1/2 c. light brown sugar
1/2 c. white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. heavy whipping cream

1. In a med. bowl, combine gelatin, and 1/2 c. buttermilk. Let stand 3-5 min
2. In a med. saucepan, combine 1 c. buttermilk and sugars. Heat over medium heat until sugars dissolve, stirring frequently 3-5 minutes. Pour a small amount of hot buttermilk mixture into gelatin mixture to soften, whisking well. Pour softened gelatin mixture into remaining hot buttermilk mixture, whisking well to remove any lumps. Pour into a bowl, and refrigerate, covered 30-40 minutes until mixture is room temp.
3. In a large bowl, beat cream at high speed until stiff peak stage. Fold into room-temp buttermilk mixture. Cover tightly and refrigerate until set, 4 to 6 hours.

***** Mine is pretty well set after only 2 hours 20 minutes!! *****
It is yummy - kind of like a cheesecake mousse!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%