Giant Cupcakes

Decorating By Cocobongo Updated 6 Feb 2011 , 11:53am by danni73

Cocobongo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cocobongo Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 9

Hi There

I was wondering, for giant cupcakes, do you cover the bottom section in buttercream. Sorry what I meant to say was, I presume you don't use fondant on these? I've never made one and would like to give it a try. I know I should get a pan where the top and bottom are seperate as they cook at different speeds. Anything else I should keep in mind?

Many thanks

Coco x

8 replies
cakeaholic_cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaholic_cakery Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 9

I just made one, and I used candy coating for the cupcake "wrapper"...http://ohsugarcakes.blogspot.com/2009/03/candy-liner-for-giant-cupcake.html Super easy and looked so clean! Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

danni73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danni73 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 12:59am
post #3 of 9

icon_smile.gif Just made my first giant cupcake yesterday........ I found a Wilton type tin for $5. Will post a picture soon!!

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 2:22am
post #4 of 9

You can just cook each part separately icon_smile.gif You will need two cake boxes.
I carved the bottom cake to fit - You can cover it in fondant - just make the fondant thin,
but not too thin. icon_smile.gif I used chocolate candy melts for my bottom - worked so well!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 2:28am
post #5 of 9

You can use buttercream if you want, I've done that. Since the top and bottom bake separately (different cavities of the same pan) you can wrap the base in fondant (the top too if you want) which looks fabulous and then there's the candy melts for the base which also looks great. Lots of options with that pan!! icon_biggrin.gif

Cocobongo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cocobongo Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 8:39am
post #6 of 9

Thank you all for your replies. I think I'll just bake it and see how it goes and decide from there. Do you know how many slices you get from one?

TIA x

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 10:24pm
post #7 of 9

I think it should serve about 10 if you ice both parts icon_smile.gif Good luck!

I tried making my first one with one box of cake mix and the top burnt and was too small..
The bottom should cook in 40mins or so !
I baked the top again with another box of batter - about an inch of batter from the rim for about 30 mins
checked after 22mins, and it was nice and full!

danni73 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 11:52am
post #8 of 9

Does anyone have any recipes for the Big Top Silicone Jumbo Cupcake mold??????

danni73 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 11:53am
post #9 of 9

Does anyone have any recipes for the Big Top Silicone Jumbo Cupcake mold??????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%