Pricing... Again

Decorating By CakeMixCakery Updated 4 Feb 2011 , 1:03am by leily

CakeMixCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMixCakery Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 7

I got a call from a friend of a lady we did a cake for. She wants a tiered cake with different cake and fillings in each tier. The design on the cake is really simple, time consuming but simple, however it needs to fee 150 people! So i gave her a quote of $150.00, told her half was due when she booked the event, and the other half was due a week before the event, and there was also going to be a deliver charge because they live an hour away from us. She flipped her lid, asked me if i was serious, and then hung up on me!!

Was i asking to much?!?! LOL

It gets really frustrating because people done realize how much time and money it takes to make a cake, its not easy people!

6 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 12:08am
post #2 of 7

you weren't charging enough, most grocery stores charge more than $1/serving for tiered cakes (if they even do them)

My price would have been double that. She was probably expecting a price of a sheet cake for the tiered cake. Let her see if she can find it somewhere else any cheaper, she won't

LogansMommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LogansMommie Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 12:15am
post #3 of 7

That's ony $1.00 a serving! OMG - At a minimum if it's buttercream and a simple design - I ask $3.00 a serving so I would have told her $450! LoL - I don't think she would have even let me get to the delivery piece as she probably would have hung up on me too!

Oh well - people just don't appreciate the time and love that goes into making a speciality cake and for those people - I don't want to make one for them anyway!

I'm really lucky to have such awesome repeat customers that truly appreciate their works of art! icon_smile.gif

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 12:17am
post #4 of 7

I have learned to let them go... you will find someone that is willing to pay your price..

And for what its worth you do NOT charge enough!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 12:18am
post #5 of 7

$1.00 per serving is pricing from the late '70s and early '80s. How can you stay in business charging so little?

CakeMixCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMixCakery Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 12:27am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

$1.00 per serving is pricing from the late '70s and early '80s. How can you stay in business charging so little?

Were just starting out and we done have a store front. We work from home... And were still figuring out the whole pricing thing!

Thanks ladies! Glad to know i was not charging enough anyway! LOL

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 1:03am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMixCakery

Were just starting out and we done have a store front. We work from home... And were still figuring out the whole pricing thing!

You still have overheads to cover even if you're working out of your home.
PLEASE read this pricing thread on how to figure pricing (there are many more out there, but this one has a lot of info in one place)

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-694973-.html

You need to figure up your cost and see what you need to be charging to make a profit (and profit is after you pay yourself and overheads too!) You need profit if you want to grow your business.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%