Buttercream - Best Recipe Fool Proof??

Decorating By GARY Updated 3 Feb 2011 , 11:28pm by icer101

GARY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GARY Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 9

O.k. I've tried them all unsuccessfully! does anyone have a full proof buttercream recipe that always works for smoothing. It seems like all the recipes with butter just don't smooth right for me. any suggestions??-Gina

8 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 9

there might not be a magic recipe for you ... best thing is practice, practice, practice!

couple tips:

try different tools (spatulas, scrapers, paint rollers for the Melvira method, etc). you might find something that really helps!

try high-ratio shortening. this is better at absorbing sugar than regular shortening (e.g. Crisco).

invest in Sharon Zambito's dvd: http://www.sugaredproductions.com/_product_85116/buttercream_dvd, or better yet, take a class from her!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 9

what method are you using for smoothing? Are you currently using an american crusting buttercream or IMBC or SMBC? Each type has a different way to smooth.

Rainyvv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rainyvv Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 10:14pm
post #4 of 9

I am a newbie and since I started using the paddle instead of the whisk and mixing just until combined I have no problems smoothing it. What recipe are you using?

GARY Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 9

I usually use buttercream dream. I've also used crusting cream cheese.
I usually just try to smooth with a off set spatula. I did try the paper towel method w/buttercream dream, but it didn't crust well for me. -Gina

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 9

I recommend Indydebi's if you are going to use Crisco and SugarShack's recipe if you can get Hi-ratio shortening. I did the math and price wise I think the hi-ration only costs me about $2 more for a double batch and it is sooo worth it. Both of those recipes smooth very well for me but I can't stress enough how valuable the SugarShack DVD - Perfecting the Art of Buttercream actually is. Your cakes will be amazing smooth and her techniques do work with other recipes as well. I rewatch her DVD about once every 2 months so I don't forget all the little details.

GARY Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 11:12pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks!! I think I will try to get the sugarshack videos, there's just something I'm not doing right.

GARY Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 11:13pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks!! I think I will try to get the sugarshack videos, there's just something I'm not doing right.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 11:28pm
post #9 of 9

Hi,also, log on to designmeacake.com(edna) from this sight shows how to ice and smooth a cake. her video is wonderful also. And yes, also invest in sugarshacks dvd. All of them as you can. hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%