Anyone Take Credit Cards On Their Iphone?

Business By VanillaCoke Updated 19 Jul 2011 , 9:03am by amaryllis756

VanillaCoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaCoke Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 8:03pm
post #1 of 20

I've been using paypal credit cards for a while, but I don't like how they are always trying to get my customers to sign up for an account....annoying. I don't do enough credit cards to justify any kind of merchant service, but I just downloaded an app called "Square". It looks great- they send you a little scanner that pops into your audio jack, and you can scan a card or punch the number in. The fees are 2.75% - less than paypal, and no other charges, not even for the scanner. Anyone tried it? Or have any better ideas?

19 replies
4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 12:38am
post #2 of 20

No I haven't tried it but I did see a commercial about taking credits on a mobile phone. I am very interested to hear the responses you get.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 12:42am
post #3 of 20

its not in canada :'(

jalie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jalie Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 4:10am
post #4 of 20

i use the credit card terminal app and love it. it does have a monthly fee but i also have the option to take web payments and phone payments. i would do lots of research on the apps security set up and reviews before you use it. i have heard some complaints about the square transactions taking a long time to post to your account and the fees being higher than the advertised percentage. hope that helps.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 4:13am
post #5 of 20

Verizon sent me a message today announcing they are taking preorders for the iphone 4. I can get a 32G for $250 with a new contract. I deleted it, because I don't like to be pinned down by a contract, but now I am interested, a bit! I have been buying my phones off craigslist and I let my contract expire 3 years ago.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 4:50am
post #6 of 20

I would definately do some google research on which apps are best for taking credit cards. If nothing else the iPhone community is vocal so you will get some really good feedback on the things metnioned above : security, response time and ease of use. Sounds interesting. People use paypal because it's basically the only option. It will be nice to have some other options.

thats2cute Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thats2cute Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 5:00am
post #7 of 20

I haven't done a ton of research on it, but I came across this website that might be useful for you. It gives the breakdown for differernt apps available on the iPhone, Android, and Blackberry.

http://www.practicalecommerce.com/articles/2497-11-Credit-Card-Apps-Swipers-for-iPhone-Android-and-BlackBerry

Hope it helps!

VanillaCoke Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 12:43pm
post #8 of 20

Thanks for the link. I took my first payment via Square this weekend. It was really easy. I didn't get the scanner thingy yet, so I took the card, opened the app, punched in the numbers. Then they signed it on the screen with their finger (this was kind of funny, but it works just like the ones at the groc store) then it asked for their email to send a receipt to. They automatically deposited the money in my bank account (minus the fees, which were accurate) that same evening. I was SO much better than paypal, which I've grown to hate for being so complicated- all those screens, have to be at a computer, have to go in and manually ask for the money. In short, I was impressed. Four stars!

AnnaBakesCakes- watch out - if you get an IPhone, you'll never be satisfied with another phone again! I use mine for answering email (SO easy), reading books (I'm a reading junkie), listening to music (keeps me spunky during those late nights) keeping track of appointments/random info/ etc... a hundred other things. Oh, and it's a phone, too icon_wink.gif

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 2:47pm
post #9 of 20

I'm glad to hear your payment went through ok Vanillacoke. I was looking at this the other day when you posted about it. Did the customer who paid ask anything about security or anything? Just wondering if people think we are going to keep their card numbers... I'm not sure how people would take to it in this country, it's a bit techie for most!!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 3:05pm
post #10 of 20

That's awesome. So glad it worked well for you. I love that they sign with their finger too funny

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 4:09pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaCoke

AnnaBakesCakes- watch out - if you get an IPhone, you'll never be satisfied with another phone again! I use mine for answering email (SO easy), reading books (I'm a reading junkie), listening to music (keeps me spunky during those late nights) keeping track of appointments/random info/ etc... a hundred other things. Oh, and it's a phone, too icon_wink.gif

I may have to do a lot of cakes before I can justify a purchase like that...They do look super cool, but I have never been a techie. I'm older than my years, I think! Like Scrooge...lol I guess that means I'm cheap!

I am thinking of getting a lap top to do business with. The business is going in the garage, and it is close enough to the computer to flick something to it, but I want something portable. So I would have to buy both right now, and it's not going to happen! What are the other options for cc payment?

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 6:09pm
post #12 of 20

My husband is using square and loves it. He says that the rate is cheaper if you scan the card than if you put in the numbers mannually. Square is compatible with his iphone and ipad.

VanillaCoke Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 9:12pm
post #13 of 20

I wouldn't consider myself a techie, but I guess I am kind of a nerd. I have a laptop, and it's kind of like the iphone....once you have it, you can't imagine NOT having it. The rate is a bit less if you scan it, but I didn't have the scanner yet.

The customer didn't bat an eye... most people under 30 really are very comfortable with internet based information exchange... and most of my customers are 25-30, getting married. I'd never be able to talk my In Laws into it, though!

AnnaBakesCakes- and Ipod touch would do the same thing, with no monthly operating cost (I think you can get them for around $120) as long as you had a wifi router in your house or shop. But yeah, that's a lot of cake icon_wink.gif

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 9:21pm
post #14 of 20

As soon as it is in canada (please hurry lol) I will get gettinf an Ipod touch, just for this

pearlcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pearlcake Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 9:34pm
post #15 of 20

Here's another app and and credit card processor I found that's an alternative to Square. It's called PhoneSwipe and personally, I think it's a better software and hardware, with better support and customer service. I've recommended it to my friends who musicians/in bands as well, check it out!

PhoneSwipe[/url]

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 10:04pm
post #16 of 20

This is not a simple alternative, at least for me, but it is an efficient one. I have an e-commerce site. When they order from the site, they pay like any other online business, with a cart and checkout. If they are on the phone, I direct them to the site for ordering, or I fill in the blanks for them. In the end, I have a completed sale with the invoice and all details.

I was worried about setting up an e-commerce site. In the end, my web designer saved me so much money setting it up correctly, that I saved the entire amount of the site design in just a few months.

instant-gratificaketion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
instant-gratificaketion Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 10:32pm
post #17 of 20

I have square and have used it a couple of times and I LOVE IT! On one transaction, I took the card info over the phone and within 5 seconds of completing the sale, the person had the email receipt in their inbox.

The only negative I can say is that both times the deposit WAS NOT deposited the same night, as they advertise. The first transaction was done on a Wednesday, they emailed that they initiated the deposit on Friday, and it didn't show up until the following Tuesday. The 2nd one was done on a Saturday and it wasn't in my account until Wednesday.

*EDITED to change one of the days. icon_smile.gif

instant-gratificaketion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
instant-gratificaketion Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 10:40pm
post #18 of 20

Oh, I have an android phone, by the way.

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 2:19am
post #19 of 20

I also use Square Up and I love it icon_smile.gif It's SO convenient!

amaryllis756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaryllis756 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 9:03am
post #20 of 20

I have been using square for about 2 months now. It is really fantastic. The money is always in my account by evening time. I get emails confirming that I took the payement. There are no extra charges at the end of the month. And it really is only 2.75%. So far, so good. I don't see any problem with it yet!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%