Cake Paste?!

Decorating By bakingpw Updated 3 Feb 2011 , 7:43pm by pummy

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 11

I was watching Fabulous Cakes, which I love, but I noticed one baker using "cake paste" - a mixture of cake crumbs and buttercream quite liberally. I understand the concept of using it to shape and mold but - YUK!!! This cake cost the customer $7,000.!!! If I paid 10% of that cost and when cutting, found huge globs of cake "paste" I would not be happy. How is someone supposed to serve that? And why would anyone want to eat that??

10 replies
erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 11

I think they had enough cake that it wasn't really an issue, besides the cake paste isn't really anything different from cake balls. Cake crumbs and icing mixed together... not that gross if you eat cake.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 11

I thought it looked really disgusting, too. I would definitely not want to eqt that. It was super mushy. You could see how wiggly it was when she was molding it. Then near the end she was worried about the cake because she said it was getting soft, or something like that. I think that is because of all of the cake paste she used and the fact that it was overly wet (way tup much frosting.)

She did do an awesome job of the decorating though.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 6:58pm
post #4 of 11

Yes, "getting soft" or whatever she claimed during delivery because it was out of refrigeration for so long (her words). It was wobbling so much because they only used one center dowel rather than building a cake that tall on a center pole!

It was the worst looking cake of all the others on the show... totally not worth $7k for a giant fish! Well, it was a lot a "cake" (if you want to call "cake paste" cake--Gross!), but all of those other cakes on the board weren't so impressive... the dog was only covered with a few scraggly long strips of fondant here and there.

The other guys/gals seemed to spend more time into executing the details of their design with the deer head and fruit basket, rather than going for massive cake wads.

EmilyJo9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyJo9 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 11

I was watching too and thought the same thing! YUCK! There was way too much icing... But like erinalicia said, I think there was enough cake that they wouldn't eat that part anyway... She could have used RKT for the same element and it wouldn't have been as mushy... It's interesting how every baker is different!

pummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pummy Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 11

I agree $7,000 for mush!! Has anyone tried the technique with the foam boards and seran to get square corners? I thought that was interesting.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 7:07pm
post #7 of 11

I thought that was an interesting technique too, pummy. I'm definitely going to try that one the next time I have a square or box shape.

pkinkema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkinkema Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 7:12pm
post #8 of 11

Can someone explain the saran wrap and foam boards for squaring corners?

pummy Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 7:16pm
post #9 of 11

another thing I noticed...correct me if I'm wrong, the guy who was doing the deer cake put rkt directly on the wood and he had the cake in direct contact with the center copper pipe. Is this sanitary??

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 7:34pm
post #10 of 11

I saw that pipe. I didn't think it looked like copper, but it was hard to tell. If it was copper, then that should not be a problem, as long as he washed it well before using. The water in our houses runs through either copper or pvc piping, depending on when your house was built, and the cost (copper pipes are more expensive than pvc.) Also, people use copper bowls and pots. I don't really know anything about other kinds of metal piping. I would think if a pipe is sold to be used for plumbing, and it is ok to carry drinking water, then it should be ok t use. Personally, I would research it if I wanted to use something like that, just to be sure. For instance, galvanized aluminum should not be used with high fat food items, as the aluminum can leech into the food.

pummy Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 7:43pm
post #11 of 11

i agree on the pipe...but I was watching cake boss yesterday and he was doing a motorcycle bike and I believe he applied rkt right on wood. I may have confused the wood issue with the deer cake. The one who did the deer cake did apply a cake board on top of the wood.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%