Illuminated Cake Base...

Decorating By Ashley0415 Updated 3 Feb 2011 , 8:16pm by cakeladyatLA

Ashley0415 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashley0415 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 3:06am
post #1 of 12

I saw a pic on here a couple of weeks ago that had a really think cake base that was covered in like a silky material.. but it was hollow and illuminated underneath... if that makes sense. I am going to try and do this for a wedding cake I have coming up.. but I cant seem to find the pic. Anyone who knows what Im talking about that could give me an idea of how this is done??

Thanks in advance!!
icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
cocobaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobaby Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 3:23am
post #2 of 12

I have one in my email files. Was the fabric gathered around the base? I can email you what I have, it also has the instructions.

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 3:45am
post #3 of 12

I was hoping to make the illuminated cake base as well for a four tiered wedding cake but have concerns as to whether the 5" cake dummy (I'm assuming that's what the instructions are referencing) is sufficient to hold the weight of a cake that tall...Has anyone had any actual experience with the base?

Ashley0415 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 3:51am
post #4 of 12

Coco, that sounds exactly like the one I was thinking!

That would be great if you could send me the info.

Thanks so much!

Ashley0415 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 3:52am
post #5 of 12

Sharon, sorry I cant help with that one.. Im definitely not one to be asking advice. I still have A LOT to learn myself

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 4:17am
post #6 of 12

I am doing an illuminated cake base for my DD's wedding cake, and her cake is 5 tiers. I am using a large piece of tempered safety glass, that will be sitting on a 3 1/2' tall glass block. The lights will be in the glass block. (At least that's the plan!) icon_biggrin.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 4:55am
post #7 of 12

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/559342164XIfVAw

This person is also a member on here, but I forget her username.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 5:02am
post #8 of 12
southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 9:51am
post #9 of 12

This is the illuminated base I was thinking about: http://cakecentral.com//gallery/1665679
My bride feel in love with the soft look of it...like the cake is floating on a cloud. I'm thinking about using battery operated tiny LED lights (I got a few sets from Save-On-Crafts) ...they don't heat up and I don't have to have an electrical cord to fret about. But now I'm intrigued with the glass block idea as well. Thanks Karen for the great idea.

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 11:56am
post #10 of 12

The battery operated led light r nice, but double check them under the material. I used them for my snowflake cake (also purchased from save-on-crafts) wish they would have been brighter>>good luck base is lovely idea. Tulle is another great material for this type of project.

cocobaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobaby Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 6:59pm
post #11 of 12

Ashley - the link listed in Sharon's post is the file I have. Thanks Sharon.

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 8:16pm
post #12 of 12

nice pics

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%