Having Problems Making Reversed Shell Border

Decorating By cakegirl1973 Updated 3 Feb 2011 , 5:23am by Unlimited

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 4

Hello! I have been practicing making a reversed shell border, but I just can't seem to get it. They look like messy blobs of icing. I am using the tip recommended by Wilton. I have watched the Wilton tutorial half a dozen times, which has not helped. Any tips or recommendations for a tutorial would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

3 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 4

Hi, will this help?

sweetcakesbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbyjen Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 4

Make sure your icing is thick enough to hold the shape once you pipe it. I use a medium icing. That may be why you get the blobs of icing look.
The only other thing I can offer is practice, practice, practice. I too had a had time with the shell border, so I watched lots of youtube videos and then practiced. It gets easier.
I don't know of any other tutorials for you, so hopefully someone else will. icon_smile.gif

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 5:23am
post #4 of 4

Did you figure it out yet?

Some of the Wilton demos aren't so great.
The You Tube demo posted above is better (but, I had to laugh about her preference to hold her wrist with the other hand when she clearly needed the other hand to spin the lazy susan!)

If I recall correctly, the Wilton video was piped in the direction going towards herself. I'd recommend piping in a horizontal line in front of you or even from front to back as you turn your turntable. If you can learn to do it in a more natural direction from the start, it's easier to adapt to doing it faster as you become more confident.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%