What Do You Do With Your Baked Goods Not Sold?

Decorating By Afrocake Updated 2 Feb 2011 , 2:33pm by Fernando

Afrocake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Afrocake Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 10:30am
post #1 of 5

Hey people,

Really new here & need some help. I've recently opened a cake shop after operating from home for the last 2 years. I was wondering how you keep any of your baked products that don't get sold on a particular day fresh. Also, do you sell them the next day? Discard them? What?

I'd appreciate your help on this one

4 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 1:09pm
post #2 of 5

In some cities/municipalities you are allowed to give some things to the shelters etc..I know here restaraunts give older produce..same with grocery stores...baked goods..breads.You will have to chek with your health dept to see what items may be donated and the time frame in which you have to donate them.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

In some cities/municipalities you are allowed to give some things to the shelters etc..I know here restaraunts give older produce..same with grocery stores...baked goods..breads.You will have to chek with your health dept to see what items may be donated and the time frame in which you have to donate them.

I totally agree, the shelter's and missions would apprieciate anything they can get that it all helps the cause. But deffinately check with the facility and the heath dept. Also I know dependings what it is somefarmers also take things to feed their pigs (breads, etc) can also check with them.

kristanashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristanashley Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrocake

Hey people,

Really new here & need some help. I've recently opened a cake shop after operating from home for the last 2 years. I was wondering how you keep any of your baked products that don't get sold on a particular day fresh. Also, do you sell them the next day? Discard them? What?

I'd appreciate your help on this one

Well, I still bake from home on a custom only basis, so I can't tell you from my experience. But I got to thinking about other bakeries I've been in, and they put "sell by ..." stickers on everything, and when that "sell by ..." date comes, they mark it way down to try to get rid of it. I don't know what they do after that, but I imagine shelters would take still take it, as would pigs.... icon_smile.gif

Fernando Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fernando Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 2:33pm
post #5 of 5

I recently tried something with an unsold cake and pieces I carved off of a 3D cake I made. Take all the cake pieces (buttercream and all) and press them into a spring form pan/cheesecake pan. Place fresh strawberries or banana (with a little lemon juice tossed) on top, and pour vanilla pudding over everything. Let sit for a few hours till set, and then slice. You could try to move this product out as free samples in your cake shop. Sorry, but I feel you've spent money on your product, you should first try to create buzz for your shop or baking skills. Besides these opportunities will allow you to get creative with your recipes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%