Calling All Kiwis, Sign In Here!

Baking By zespri Updated 29 Aug 2011 , 10:36pm by AliBakes6167

sweetooth0510 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth0510 Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 4:02am
post #31 of 52

Hey, pretty sure I've seen them at the Homestore - think they are the Chicago Metallic brand. Good luck. icon_cool.gif

avasmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
avasmummy Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 8:17am
post #32 of 52

hey just wondering if any kwis can recommend a good recipe suitable for stacking to make a topsy turvy cake with local supplies. I have been trying out different recipes and making modifications for what i can get my hands on, but so far no real joy. Any pointers would be appreciated icon_smile.gif

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 6 May 2011 , 12:52am
post #33 of 52

Hi ladies!

decoratethecake.com are having a sale this weekend, 40% off everything, and their prices are already pretty sharp as they pour their own molds as you order them, so you're buying direct from the manufacturer (their goods are on other websites for a lot more).

Also if you spend $100 or more, it's free shipping, and that includes international. So I am going to place an order at some stage this weekend, and I thought I'd see if anyone wants to join me. If you're keen, send me a PM with what you want to order. I'm happy to pay for it all on my credit card and you can re-imburse me afterwards.

When I get the goods I'll send them off in those NZ post pre-paid bags. They're $4 and $5, I imagine most things will fit into those no worries.

It finishes this weekend, so be quick if you're keen icon_smile.gif

strathmore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strathmore Posted 6 May 2011 , 9:15pm
post #34 of 52

Thanks will check out the site.

strathmore Posted 6 May 2011 , 9:24pm
post #35 of 52

wow they got lots of stuff. Great if you are pumping out a lot of cakes and can justify getting the moulds....I love the cameos and the lace.

zespri Posted 6 May 2011 , 11:00pm
post #36 of 52

They do have lots of good stuff, right?

I got this, for little flowers on cupcakes:
http://decoratethecake.com/store/WsDefault.asp?One=135

And a wood grain texture mat. I've had two cakes I would have used that on so far, so figured I would again as I love novelty cakes. US$6, not too bad!

strathmore Posted 6 May 2011 , 11:57pm
post #37 of 52

Ok I will pm you tonight - like the idea of the woodgrain I think it would make neat picture frames. A brick impression mat would have certainly made the last cake - in my gallery - a lot quicker than individually cutting out the bricks !!!!

avasmummy Posted 27 May 2011 , 2:20am
post #38 of 52

I have been trying to glaze some gumpaste using 50/50 glucose and rose spirits but its still tacky - I think it might just be nz's humidity but thought maybe you might know of a better option. ps vodka or rose spirits or steaming hasn't achieve the desired sheen either. Thanks in advance, Vanessa.

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 27 May 2011 , 3:55am
post #39 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by avasmummy

I have been trying to glaze some gumpaste using 50/50 glucose and rose spirits but its still tacky - I think it might just be nz's humidity but thought maybe you might know of a better option. ps vodka or rose spirits or steaming hasn't achieve the desired sheen either. Thanks in advance, Vanessa.

Hi Vanessa, it might help if we know what effect you are going for - what are you making with the gumpaste? I've never found a way of actually 'glazing' gumpaste, without it going sticky or soft, but there are other ways to get a similar effect.

avasmummy Posted 27 May 2011 , 4:17am
post #40 of 52

sorry duh me lol

I am making teacups and saucers and want it to look ceramic-ish. These ones are already ruined but still useable for tomorrow. But i definitely want to make more of these in the future.

The only way these are staying in shape is because i have kept them in my oven with the light and the fan on which does dry the glaze i used but after an hour of them being out they are all gooey again

Thanks for your help icon_smile.gif

amberhoney Posted 27 May 2011 , 4:38am
post #41 of 52

I really must learn to stop clicking 'submit' icon_lol.gif

amberhoney Posted 27 May 2011 , 4:39am
post #42 of 52

Oops posted the same thing twice and can't seem to find delete !

amberhoney Posted 27 May 2011 , 4:52am
post #43 of 52
Quote:

sorry duh me lol

I am making teacups and saucers and want it to look ceramic-ish. These ones are already ruined but still useable for tomorrow. But i definitely want to make more of these in the future.

The only way these are staying in shape is because i have kept them in my oven with the light and the fan on which does dry the glaze i used but after an hour of them being out they are all gooey again

Thanks for your help icon_smile.gif

Sounds like a job for pearl lustre, one of my secret weapons icon_wink.gif

I would love to see some pics, I have always wanted to make those!

sweetooth0510 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth0510 Posted 27 May 2011 , 4:58am
post #44 of 52

The humidity at the moment is driving me nuts! All of my cakes have this tacky look which I hate. I had a fire engine cake today (luckily for a friend) that had ladders on the top - when I went to bed last night they were perfectly straight and when I woke up they were droopy - I made them with fondant/gumtrac and they were in the hot water cupboard for days ... aaargh!

avasmummy Posted 27 May 2011 , 5:08am
post #45 of 52

[\\quote]
Sounds like a job for pearl lustre, one of my secret weapons icon_wink.gif

I would love to see some pics, I have always wanted to make those![/quote]

Gosh i wish I had used pearl lustre!!! I am still very new to all this so i guess its one way to learn lol.

I will post pics tomorrow once i make the teapot cake

amberhoney Posted 27 May 2011 , 5:28am
post #46 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetooth0510

The humidity at the moment is driving me nuts! All of my cakes have this tacky look which I hate. I had a fire engine cake today (luckily for a friend) that had ladders on the top - when I went to bed last night they were perfectly straight and when I woke up they were droopy - I made them with fondant/gumtrac and they were in the hot water cupboard for days ... aaargh!

Ouch, I bet that hurt-I feel your pain!
I hope i am not telling anyone how to suck eggs, but I will share some of what i have learned over the years. I have not had many problems with tacky cakes, unless they were tacky themed cakes!
I dont have a hot water cupboard but if I did, I am not sure I would try to dry gumpaste in it, I have always thought dry/cool would be best. I make my pieces as far in advance as I can. At least 2-3 days but preferably a week or more so they have heaps of time to dry. I don't use a lot of commercially made flower/gum paste, but make my own by adding gum tragacanth to fondant at a rate of about a tsp to 100g of fondant. I never paint gumpaste pieces with anything liquid, other than very strong alcohol (absinthe) mixed with powdered colours or metallics. Mostly I just dust them with coloured powders and lustre dusts. And I never put cakes in the fridge. I live in Levin where the humidity isn't as bad as it is up north, so some members from up there might have some tips (I am thinking a fan in the kitchen??). Rachel have you had problems up there?

avasmummy Posted 27 May 2011 , 6:06am
post #47 of 52

the gumpaste mix i used was a wilton one and i can recommend the oven with fan and light on as they did dry super fast. I haven't made my own gumpaste before by i now have the materials to do so next time (thank goodness cause i am never paying that much again for a purchased mix!!!) but i don't know if i would use the oven to dry those pieces (but i guess its an experiment in the making lol)

zespri Posted 27 May 2011 , 7:12am
post #48 of 52

problems with humidity? absolutely! The week of my friends wedding (I was doing her cake), the humidity was so bad we were all covered in a layer of sweat the whole time, it was disgusting. The cakes were sweating like bas****s, and we were just grateful there weren't too many colours to contend with. It wasn't that big a deal, the only thing was I couldn't use the fondant smoothers AT ALL, because as soon as the fondant smoothers were on the cake, the fondant was wet immediately. Yep, Auckland sux for humidity. I envy you Clare, my skin used to be so great when I lived in Palmie!

BTW, I store my fondant figures in a cardboard box, that air can get into. I agree, cool and dark.

avasmummy Posted 27 May 2011 , 10:15pm
post #49 of 52

here is the finished teapot cake with teacups and man am i glad. I was still up at 4.30 this morning finishing the thing
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2048662

avasmummy Posted 31 May 2011 , 4:09am
post #50 of 52

Just a question about hiring a licensed kitchen - do any of you know how much i could expect to pay to hire a kitchen to bake cakes in? TIA

AliBakes6167 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AliBakes6167 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 5:03am
post #51 of 52
Quote:

Just a question about hiring a licensed kitchen - do any of you know how much i could expect to pay to hire a kitchen to bake cakes in? TIA

Hi avasmummy! This is a tough one, I spent nearly 5 months searching, emailing, calling to try and find somewhere to hire out a registered kitchen. I finally found one & it's really reasonably priced. I pay $11.50/hr. Other adverts i've seen are $50 for a half day & $90 for a full day.........but very hard to find one that's available.

If anyone knows of kitchens that are available to hire anywhere around New Zealand, please post them here. I'm sure it would be helpful to a lot of NZ cakers that come across this thread. icon_biggrin.gif

AliBakes6167 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AliBakes6167 Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 10:36pm
post #52 of 52

Any Aucklanders looking for a kitchen to hire??? I came across Glenfield Community Centre's website & contacted them - they hire out theirs for $12 per hour: www.glenfieldcommunitycentre.co.nz

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%