Help With Gumpaste

Decorating By peg91170 Updated 2 Feb 2011 , 4:28pm by peg91170

peg91170 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg91170 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 7

I've never used gumpaste for anything before. I tried to make my own once but it didn't turn out. I want to make a certain cake for my daughter's 16th bday in a couple of weeks & want to make some cut outs with it. How do you work with it?

6 replies
jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 12:08am
post #2 of 7

Hi Peg. here is the recipe I use:

3 cups powdered sugar
2 egg whites
6 tablspoons tylose powder

Whip the egg whites to break them up. add one cup of sugar at a time to make a soft royal icing (make sure to leave about 1 cup for kneading it in). Add your tylose powder a little at a time, you will see when the gumpaste starts to clump. Stop your mixer at this point. Grease your hands and spatula well, as well as the surface where you will be kneading in the remaining powdered sugar. Pull out your dough from the mixer and make sure to soak in water immediately(if you ket it harden you'll have to chisel it off) The dough should not be sticky.
Wrap it well and let it sit in your refridgerator for 24 hours.

Hope this helps

To work with it. pull off a small amount. with lightly greased hands knead it until it comes back to soft strechable and workable consistency.

peg91170 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 12:26am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobueno

Hi Peg. here is the recipe I use:

3 cups powdered sugar
2 egg whites
6 tablspoons tylose powder

Whip the egg whites to break them up. add one cup of sugar at a time to make a soft royal icing (make sure to leave about 1 cup for kneading it in). Add your tylose powder a little at a time, you will see when the gumpaste starts to clump. Stop your mixer at this point. Grease your hands and spatula well, as well as the surface where you will be kneading in the remaining powdered sugar. Pull out your dough from the mixer and make sure to soak in water immediately(if you ket it harden you'll have to chisel it off) The dough should not be sticky.
Wrap it well and let it sit in your refridgerator for 24 hours.

Hope this helps

To work with it. pull off a small amount. with lightly greased hands knead it until it comes back to soft strechable and workable consistency.

Thanks so much. Then do I roll it out like fondant?

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 12:31am
post #4 of 7

A quickie way to make gumpaste is to simply add a little gum-tex to some fondant. Instant gumpaste. Use it just like fondant. It just dries ALOT faster than fondant and is brittle.

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 1:44pm
post #5 of 7

Nb? I have tried the fondant method and just don't like the way it handles. It's best to just make it from scratch (Imho).[/img]

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 2:27pm
post #6 of 7

google nicholas lodge' gum paste recipe..that's what i use..you might like working w/ it..work w/ it as jobueno stated...just make sure you keep it covered/wrapped the extra you're not working w/ as it easily dries...

bobbie

peg91170 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 4:28pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone for your great tips. They've helped alot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%