Help! Equipment List

Business By bakingkat Updated 2 Feb 2011 , 3:41pm by bakingkat

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 10:26pm
post #1 of 7

Hey everyone, I just got a position starting up a wedding cake department for a well established catering company. They have established kitchen space designated for the bakery, but they want a list from me as far as equipment goes. I know the basics, oven, mixer, work table, bakers scale, speed racks, pans, tips, etc. But I feel like I might be missing some things... any input into equipment required for starting a cake business would be extremely helpful.

Also, I found this on craigslist, but it seems kind of expensive $5500, but i'm not sure how much everything is worth, so some input would be great!

"____ is selling everything. 13 years of items. I do not want to try to sell each item seperately. There is too many things to try to do that. Was an ICES member and went to the conventions. Bought many neat things at these conventions. Want to sell everything together.

Duke single electric convection oven model E101
Hobart floor mixer-30 quart
Cake stands (silver cake plateaus, Cinderella carriage with horses, many different styles)
Many fondant molds (Many First Impression and Sugar Bouquet silicone molds) (lace (many by Elegant Lace), beads, pearls, so many I can not possibly list them all)
Many gum paste flower and leaf cutters, veiners, instructional books & videos
Many other cutters (quilters, snow flakes, cookie cutters)
Many cake books (By Colete Peters, other cake books)
Several instructional fondant videos
Sugar veil and equipment
Isomalt and warming box
Cake pans-round, square, rectangular, petal, oblong, heart, etc, (many different sizes, many of the same size)
Cake pillars-ornate pillars from Cal Jave International (different sizes), unique pillars
Cake fountains-some unique fountains and regular cake fountains
Many, many boxes of gum paste flowers
Colorings-petal dust, super pearl, etc.
Airbrush equipment
Cake plates and cake boards
There is so much stuff it is hard to list them all."

Thanks!

6 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 10:40pm
post #2 of 7

If you're interested try making them an offer.

beenie51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenie51 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 7

when you are talking pillars and plates the plastic ones they yellow with age. I would be a little leary of those items.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 7

I would let them know that several of the items (pillars, fountains, etc) are of no interest to you and shoot them what you think a fair offer is. Just make sure everything is in working order.

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 7

The big ticket items are the mixer and oven. I would find out about age and condition and shop around for these items first. A 30 quart mixer seems big to me, but I'm a home baker. If the mixer and oven are worth between $2000 and $2500 each you would probably be getting a bargain.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 3:54am
post #6 of 7

I agree about the two big ticket items. You need to research their worth. I owned an all-scratch retail bakery cafe for many years. A 30 qt Hobart is a great size. You'll need coolers; and a freezer makes life easier.

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 3:41pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the advice guys, it's an existing kitchen so there is a walkin fridge and freezer. I've found a double stack oven online for 700 and a 30 qt mixer for >1000, which is kinda what made me think 5500 was kinda high. I guess I probably just need to go see how many pans, molds, etc there actually are but it seems like its probably not the best deal...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%