Red Fondant..help Please

Decorating By Rainyvv Updated 3 Feb 2011 , 1:36am by Rainyvv

Rainyvv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rainyvv Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 1:37am
post #1 of 11

I need to cover 2 cakes next week in red fondant. I bought Duffs Red Fondant so I thought I would try working with it a bit today. It is very soft and not easy to smooth over. It also does not have a matte finish but rather a greasy look to it. Can you Please advise on another brand? Luckily I got curious and this didn't happen when working on the actual cake.

Thanks!

10 replies
birdlady9771 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdlady9771 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 1:48am
post #2 of 11

I only use Satin Ice so I can't compare but it isn't greasy it is a matte finish. I love the way it works (most of the time) and especially buying pre-made colors.

Rainyvv Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 1:51am
post #3 of 11

I was thinking about buying the red satin ice. I've heard some peope say it sags or ripples. Does the pre colored red get a nice matte finish?

cr8zchpr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cr8zchpr Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 2:02am
post #4 of 11

I use only Satin Ice as well and he colors are great. I found that if you leave the fondant on the couter after you roll it out for a bit it sets up and works great, not too long to dry it out just enought to stiffen up a bit and it works great for me.

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 2:13am
post #5 of 11

We love red Satin Ice. Never had any problems.

Did you try to add a little cornstarch to Duffs to see if it helps the texture/appearance? Might help!

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 2:18am
post #6 of 11

Next to homemade, (using Edna De la Cruz's recipe) I like Satin Ice the best. I didn't care for Duff's either I tried using it and ended up using a different color instead and saved Duff's for decorations.

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 2:19am
post #7 of 11

Kudos and props to Satin Ice Red!! Perfect consistency and smooooooth!!

Rainyvv Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 2:22am
post #8 of 11

Sold! Getting satin ice tomorrow. Thanks so much.

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 2:34am
post #9 of 11

GSA has the best prices and they ship very quickly!

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 2:48am
post #10 of 11

I always use the Satin Ice if its red or black! The best place I have found & quick shipping is cakesupplies4U.com

Rainyvv Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 1:36am
post #11 of 11

You all were so right....Got Red Satin Ice today wow what a difference. I even got a good price 13.99 and the shop is like 2 minutes away. Cant wait to cover the entire cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%