Best Buttercream Recipe Ever For Roses

Baking By QuadCities Updated 10 Feb 2011 , 11:24pm by QuadCities

QuadCities Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QuadCities Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 4:21am
post #1 of 12

I've been trying to make buttercream roses / flowers and I have the worst time doing it.. They look like they are melting .. if I put more sugar in then it's to sweet or to stiff.. I even use the Wilton recipes ..... I need help bad .... I go on youtube and these gal's go zip,zip an a rose is born .. I use 100% shortening.. Hope someone can help me with this ..

11 replies
hebberd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hebberd Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 4:38am
post #2 of 12

Look on this site for "Indydebi's Crisco-Based Buttercream Icing" I use it on all my cakes and LOVE it. If you are trying to make flowers just add more Powdered Sugar or less milk. Hope this will help.
Good Luck

QuadCities Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 5:07am
post #3 of 12

I looked it up printed out the recipe .. so I will give this whirl on the darn rose makin' icon_surprised.gif)

QuadCities Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hebberd

Look on this site for "Indydebi's Crisco-Based Buttercream Icing" I use it on all my cakes and LOVE it. If you are trying to make flowers just add more Powdered Sugar or less milk. Hope this will help.
Good Luck

THANKS FOR YOU HELP !! HOPE YOUR WEEK IS GREAT ONE .. EM

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 12

I use her recipe too but sub 1/3 c shortening for butter!

Scorpioforu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scorpioforu Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 12:56am
post #6 of 12

What brand of shortening are you using? If you're using a generic brand that could be your problem or maybe you're using too much liquid. I've used that exact recipe many times and its always a bit on the stiff side for me which I love for making roses.

QuadCities Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 3:01am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpioforu

What brand of shortening are you using? If you're using a generic brand that could be your problem or maybe you're using too much liquid. I've used that exact recipe many times and its always a bit on the stiff side for me which I love for making roses.

I'VE USED ALMOST ALL KINDS OF SHORTENING AND IT'S ALWAYS BEEN 100% .. BUT I'M GOING TO USED THIS RECIPE NEXT TIME .. I NEED A STIFF RECIPE FOR THEM ROSES...THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT...

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 5:30am
post #8 of 12

The Wilton decorator icing that they sell in small tubs is nice and stiff. Also, if your hands make the bag too warm, fill 2 bags, keep 1 in the frig and keep trading off. It can help to make your rose centers (cones) several at a time and let them air dry for awhile so you have a nice stiff rose base.

Adding powdered sugar a little at a time will stiffen your icing up nicely. Hope this helps. thumbs_up.gif

retaunton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
retaunton Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 6:19am
post #9 of 12

I always have problems using Crisco and store brand shortening where they have taken out the transfat. Even in using Indydebi's recipe. I look for store brands that have the transfat or use hi-ratio shortening. Also, it takes practice, practice, practice when making roses.

I have warm hands and have to make up several bags of icing so that I can switch off when one gets too warm. I also use parchment bags sometimes. They don't get as warm as fast as the plastic bags do.

I have had good luck with cakepro's buttercream icing recipe that can be found in the recipe section here on CC. My WMI liked it when I took it to class and used for roses. Icing consistency is the key. My best friend is a cake decorating instructor with her own shop selling supplies and having classes. She recommends the Wilton icing because it is the right everything for making roses. Make sure it is the one in the small tub/can.

I don't like using Wilton because it tastes so bad. Invariably, someone will eat a rose when I use it. Even when I tell them not to and comment on how it doesn't taste the same as the other icing on the cake.

Good luck!

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 7:03am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneseo

They look like they are melting .. if I put more sugar in then it's to sweet or to stiff..

Hope someone can help me with this ..

If meltingdefinitely add PS.

I wouldn't worry about them being too sweetit's icing, it's suppose to be sweet (many don't eat 'em anyway, unless they're kids).

It's nearly impossible to make the icing too stiff, IMO, but you'll know if it is because it will look dry and no longer look creamy. Also, the rose petals will have jagged edges if it's too dry.

Hope I've helped.

QuadCities Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 12:28am
post #11 of 12

Thanks everyone for all your input of what I'm not doing or should be doing .. I will use all the advice I've gotten .. Yes. about the warm hand...Thanks for sharing your video's too .. I get so jealous when I see someone like yourself make roses like that .....

QuadCities Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 11:24pm
post #12 of 12

I made "Indydebi's Crisco-Based Buttercream Icing" and it worked great and the taste is wonderful also .. Thanks for passing this recipe on to me....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%