Coloring Store Bought Fondant?

Decorating By kayliestue Updated 31 Jan 2011 , 6:39pm by imagenthatnj

kayliestue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayliestue Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 12:18am
post #1 of 7

I am a total novice and my daughter is testing me with her 6th birthday cake request (She wants a Tangled themed cake complete with a tower! I'm following some pictures I've found on this site)! If I buy the prepackaged Wilton fondant, how do I go about coloring it? I need a brick gray type color... Is there an easier way to achieve a color? Like painting on the fondant with gels?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

6 replies
zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 12:27am
post #2 of 7

you would buy some black gel colour, and just tip a toothpick in, then wipe the toothpick over the surface of your fondant, then massage it in.

BTW, I've never tried it but I hear from so many people that the wilton fondant is not good to eat, if you have any other choice of brand maybe try it instead?

birdlady9771 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdlady9771 Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 12:54am
post #3 of 7

Same advise on the coloring. But don't use Wilton fondant - it tastes terrible. If you have time to order online or have a cake supply store nearby use Satin Ice. It is easy to work with and tastes great.

Good Luck!

LogansMommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LogansMommie Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 1:07am
post #4 of 7

Ditto on the coloring, but just to chime in - I love Wilton's fondant. LoL - I may be the only one on here and probably just haven't realized what else is out there, but for me - It's cheap with a coupon at Michael's or ACMoore and very easy to work with. I have some clients that LOVE the taste and some that tell me they just don't like fondant and so we've always just done buttercream for them.

I've made MMF once before and did enjoy the taste, but it was just a pain to work with (and a mess to make) and didn't seem as perfectly smooth as Wilton's.

Someday I'll splurge and try Satin Ice, but I'm sure (from what I've heard) I won't want to go back. icon_smile.gif

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 1:12am
post #5 of 7

We have pettinice fondant here, and it's yummy. I have never tried making my own because there seems no point, pettinice is nice.

kaylie - I was thinking about your castle, it really is a big ask. Do you have a book to base your design off? Debbie brown has books with castles in them, like magical cakes, enchanted cakes.

EmilyJo9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyJo9 Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 3:31pm
post #6 of 7

Same as everyone else with the coloring... use a little black and it will make grey as you massage it in... But yeah I wouldn't use Wilton fondant unless it's not going to be eaten... MMF tastes much better, doesn't dry out as fast, and it's cheaper!!! If you make it in a stand mixer it doesn't make a mess especially if you put a piece of Saran warp around the top of the mixer so the PS doesn't fly out AND you can add the coloring in when you're mixing it so you don't have to kill your hands or stain them trying to knead the color in... Good Luck!!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%