~Carving A Cake To Make It Smaller On The Bottom Tutorials?~

Decorating By tabco Updated 29 Jan 2011 , 10:32pm by tabco

tabco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabco Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 5

Are there any tutorials on this....I have seen it done on alot of topsy-turvy cakes...but also seen it done on a regular tiered cake. I know you carve it with the small part on top then flip it over but would love to know the secret to getting it even all the way around.

4 replies
KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 10:02pm
post #2 of 5

Here's one I like for a video.

Good luck!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 5

Here are my instructions for tapering cakes. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Start with two same-size cake layers, say, 10-inch round.

Place a 10-inch round cake circle on one end, and an 8-inch circle on the other end. Make sure the larger, same-size board is not larger than the cake. It can be tad smaller.

Working inside a large pan or baking sheet to confine the mess, elevate the cake a few inches on something narrower than the cake, like a 6 or 7 inch cake pan.

The 8-inch board side should be up. Put non-skid mat between the cake and it's elevator so it doesn't slip off.

Now, take a long, serrated knife and, using the cake boards as guides, carve away the sides of the cake. Flip the cake over, place on it's permanent board and away you go!

If you plan to fill the layers with something other than buttercream, place a couple of small cardboard cake circles between your layers before carving.

After carving, take the two layers apart, remove the cake circles, pipe your dam, add filling and replace the layers. Trim, if necessary.

If you're going to fill with buttercream, you can do that before carving.

cakesmart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmart Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 10:18pm
post #4 of 5

Very straight forward instructions...thanks for posting.

tabco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabco Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 10:32pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much! Everyone on CC is sooo nice! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%