How To Properly Freeze A Cake

Decorating By msjustjess Updated 29 Jan 2011 , 6:34pm by cabecakes

msjustjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msjustjess Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 3

Hi my fellow cake friends icon_biggrin.gif,

I have a request from a friend who wants me to make 10 of the 3d mini bear cakes for Valentines. To rid myself from extensive hours of baking and decorating on the day before, I would like to bake the cakes ahead of time and freeze them(undecorated). I know you guys would know!

How do I properly freeze a cake?
whats the life expectancy of a frozen cake?
How do I avoid a soggy cake once thawed?

thanks for your inspiration in advance

2 replies
LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjustjess

How do I properly freeze a cake?

Double wrap it with saran wrap and pop it in the freezer. A lot of people wrap it quite a few times and then with foil and then in a bag etc but I find that that is overkill and I only wrap it twice and have no issues.

whats the life expectancy of a frozen cake?

In most of the books I read it says 3 months and a cake in my freezer isn't in there long enough to find out if they last more than that.

How do I avoid a soggy cake once thawed?

I usually defrost them for 20 mins on my counter still wrapped then unwrap and assemble and fill as usual. I've never had any issues.

HTH

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 3

While I am by no means an expert in the field of cakes, I will tell you what I do. When I remove my cakes from the oven, I let them cool COMPLETELY. This reduces the risk of warmth thawing things in your freezer and creating a enviroment ripe for getting someone sick. Once they are cooled, wrap them really good in either saran wrap or press and seal wrap. If I am going to be keeping them in the freezer for longer then a week or if there is a concern about freezer odors, I also wrap them in aluminum foil (let them freeze a little first to make this easier if you like). When you are ready to thaw just remove from the freezer and loosen the plastic wrap slightly to prevent the plastic from pulling parts of the cake away when removed (leave covered loosely). Once they are thawed, you may want to let them "breath" a little while without the plastic wrap. This will allow a little of the excess moisture to dry up on the outside of the cake and will allow the cake to expel any excess air that might create problems under your icing or fondant. This is what I do, and my cakes are always really moist after freezing. But someone else may do it differently.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%