Just Disappointed

Decorating By Balusekc Updated 12 Feb 2011 , 6:37am by saffronica

Balusekc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Balusekc Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 12:50am
post #1 of 39

I am not a professional decorator, I am self taught. I know I am not the best, but I don't feel like I am the worst either. One of my ultimate goals is to get on the most saved photos of the day "list." I know that may take a while since I mainly bake for family and friends. I am disappointed that I post cakes sometimes and they do not get any "favorites." I don't know if it is when I post, that they are not good, or something else. I was really excited over the wine cake I made last night, and it has 125 views with no favorites. Some of my other cakes have no favorites as well. I'm not here serching for sympathy, I just wanted someone to listen...KWIM?

Thanks for listening if you read this far!

Cheryl

38 replies
birdlady9771 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdlady9771 Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 1:05am
post #2 of 39

Cheryl,

Don't worry, your cakes are very nice for a newbie. Sometimes people just look at pics and move on. I know sometimes I'm in a bit of a "rush" and just skim the pics and don't comment. You'll get plenty of comments and favorites icon_biggrin.gif

Balusekc Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 1:14am
post #3 of 39

Thank you for the reply. I understand about people being in a rush. Trust me I know, I teach and have 2 young boys. I wish I could come on the site more often, and stay on longer, but I can't. I just try really hard on my cakes, and I sometimes wonder if they are as good as I think they are. The recepients like them and I guess that is all that matters.

MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 1:17am
post #4 of 39

It's tough to get into that "most saved" category. There are sooo many cakes posted everyday here at CakeCentral, I don't think any of us really see them all. Not to mention how quickly they go to the bottom of the pile so to speak. I posted one of my all time favorite cakes the other day and I kid you not, within an hour it was 15+ pages down on the recently posted cakes category. So much for that one! On the other hand, I just recently received a comment on a cake that I posted over a year ago. So that person either searched something specific or was just browsing wedding cakes.

Some people think that posting on Wed/Thur is better because it's slowed down after the weekend rush of cakes. I'm not sure that even makes a difference.

And just for the record Cheryl, I checked out your cakes and you've got talent girl! I believe in being self-taught but if you ever have the opportunity to take some classes by all means do it! I've been decorating for 30+ years and I learn something new in every class I take, even a basic class.

Happy Caking!

Lisa

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 1:18am
post #5 of 39

Hey Cheryl!
I know how you feel! I am self taught as well and if you look at my first photos, I hardly had ANY either when I first started! Its just the nature of the beast!! icon_cry.gif But, the good news is, with lots of practice your skills improve and so do the comments! I still have cakes that I have uploaded that I loved and thought were great that have no comments....I have learned to not take it personally though. Keep practicing- you are definately on the right track!! Great work!! icon_biggrin.gif

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 1:38am
post #6 of 39

i'm totally self taught too and realise that I get most comments from cakes that I load reluctantly,the ones I load with excitement and I might be very proud of might not get any comment.So it depends on what appeals to people I guess.

Balusekc Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 1:38am
post #7 of 39

Lisa, I have taken the Wilton classes (Basic, flowers and cake design, and fondant and gumpaste), but other than that I have been self taught. And most of that helped me with what I already taught myself.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 4:17am
post #8 of 39

Want a thrill? Upload them late at night, eastern time. Even though I know it's just because the new day has just started and maybe one person added my picture to their favorites, it still made me secretly giddy for a little bit. LOL

ChilliPepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChilliPepper Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 8:13am
post #9 of 39

Hi Cheryl

I think it is down to the numerous cakes that are posted on this site and also it is very much down to personal taste. I too am self taught and am very much an 'apprentice' at cake decorating. It very much depends on what catches your eye, colour, etc and sometimes I see cakes that have loads of favourites that I don't like at all and then I see others that I think are fantastic and they don't have any favourites!

Keep posting and never give up!

CP xxx

CP xxx

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 8:24am
post #10 of 39

Another thing to consider is that the "favorites" is almost as much about the photography than the cake. I never see crappy cell phone pictures in the top 5, it's usually high quality professional/semi-professional type pictures. I'm totally a sucker for awesome food photography, but sometimes I wanna cry "NOT FAIR!" when I see beautifully photographed-yet simple enough cakes in the top favorites. On the flip side, there are tons of well-executed beautiful cakes on here that get passed over because the photo is poorly lit or grainy.
Hopefully tomorrow will be the last time I post a cell phone pic...I got a new digital camera for christmas and still haven't gotten around to getting a memory card and this is first on my to-do list after I deliver a cake icon_smile.gif

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 8:41am
post #11 of 39

Hey, please don't be disheartened, its as much about popular taste as anything, IMO. It took me 3 pages worth of cakes to get a Number 1 on the charts (LOL)...and that cake was one peeps in the USA loved, but my own clients in Oz were left scratching their heads about, LOL...Hang in there sweetie - the best is yet it come!

ChilliPepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChilliPepper Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 1:03pm
post #12 of 39

Hi

I know it's a while since this thread started but I have to say there is cake sitting in the top 5 today which although the idea and design is lovely, the execution is appalling and it looks as though it has been put together by a 5 year old! And I have seen some beautiful cakes uploaded over the last 24 hours which have not even had 1 favourite.

As Yul Bryner said in The King and I - "tis a puzzlement"!!!!!!!

CP x

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 1:28pm
post #13 of 39

I have a cake that has over 500 views and not even a comment so I feel you. While it would be great to have other cakers like my cakes and rave over them, I put mine on Facebook for my friends to rave over. They make me feel good, even over the ones I'm disappointed in.

mrsbriggs06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbriggs06 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 1:39pm
post #14 of 39

i usually only 'save' a pic if it's one that i would like to try a design element on or am using for inspiration, etc.

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:04pm
post #15 of 39

[quote="MadameRaz"]Another thing to consider is that the "favorites" is almost as much about the photography than the cake. I never see crappy cell phone pictures in the top 5, it's usually high quality professional/semi-professional type pictures. I'm totally a sucker for awesome food photography, but sometimes I wanna cry "NOT FAIR!" when I see beautifully photographed-yet simple enough cakes in the top favorites. On the flip side, there are tons of well-executed beautiful cakes on here that get passed over because the photo is poorly lit or grainy.
quote]

I agree.
When I joined cc a few years ago there was a a group of people who made sure cakes received comments. The atmosphere was very different than it is today. I see lots of great cake with no comments. I used to go thru cakes and make comments. Then there were the threads about the how just saying "beautiful" or "great job" isn't enough and people started saying they would rather have no comments than "clichey" comments. So I quit leaving comments. I don't say something if I don't mean it. I usually just don't have a lot of creatve words to say. I also turned off the comment feature on my cakes. Some of have have turned to being lurkers, instead of active participants. Keep up the great work on your cakes. And keep posting your pictures.

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:09pm
post #16 of 39

When I first joined, I uploaded all my pics and got two of my cakes on the most saved list...and I think because I uploaded so many at a time, my cakes actually showed up for people to see. When you upload one, it's easy for it never to have a homepage placement. But I feel your pain! My most saved cake has over 170 saved, but it is by no means my favorite cake. On the other hand, I just did a Dora and Boots cake that has no favorites and not a lot of views, although I personally feel like it should because my gumpaste figures are dead on, and it was a unique spiral carved cake and not the same sheetpan cake that you see in every pic...
So hang in there...BTW, there is a thread called something like "underappreciated cakes" that you could post some of your cakes in for comments!

kimma1299 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimma1299 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:29pm
post #17 of 39

I feel your pain as well. I post pics on here all the time that I have done for family and friends (I have a huge family and a large church hence the 3 pages worth), and I also feel super sad when I think a cake is really going to make it up there. Case in point - I made the pirate cake from last year's Wilton Year Book and rocked it. Well, not even one comment or favorite. I was very dissapointed. However, like you said earlier, it is what the receive of the cake says not everyone else. Hang in there.

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:39pm
post #18 of 39

I wouldn't start judging your abilities based on the number of comments or favorites that a picture of your cake gets. I understand the satisfaction of getting praise from your peer group, but I get more satisfacation from knowing my client loved the look of the cake and ultimately the taste of the cake.

There are a lot of factors that go into what people choose to save. Myself - something unique or something I could see myself making in the future. I very rarely look at very ornate, tiered wedding cakes. Doesn't mean that they aren't good, but I just don't see a reason to look at them let alone save them.

AmyBee89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyBee89 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:43pm
post #19 of 39

I know that at least when I save a cake to my favorites, it's usually because its something I might try myself: so that means it needs to be doable (I don't bother saving cakes that are exquisite and intricate because I know I'm not there!) and around a theme that's relevant to me-- and I bet a lot of other people are the same way. I pass up a lot of cakes that I like just because I don't really think I'll make them.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:47pm
post #20 of 39

I feel for you, I have been so disheartened by not receiving any comments or favorites that I actually stopped posting a few months ago. I know it's silly but I really thought there would be more positivity with this site esp for self taught beginners (like me). I love the site bc the inspiration is wonderful and there have been excellent tips but for encouragement it's been a downer.

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:54pm
post #21 of 39

I started a page months ago about this same topic,,,so I feel your pain too! I feel like I did such a great job with all of the hard work involved,,and the person for cake loved it, yet, I get views, but not many favorites too. I understand,and so in return, I try to do the same for others because I know what it feels like. I've learned that if you client likes your cake and tastes,,,that is the MOST important thing for your work..AND that people only"add to favorites" if it's something out of the ordinary of the decorating of cakes.

EG: The barbie doll dress cakes, or the pregnant stomache cakes, or the baby rump cakes and etc...these cakes are sooo common that they aren't really all that different except a couple designs and the coloring of them..so ppl don't really add that to their favorites b/c they are so common..

SO don't take it personal really..I used to and not anymore but I do enjoy comments, and cking everyday to see if ppl looked at my cake or commented or add to favorites.

Keep up the good work and no that it's not a personal thing!

m_mckinney1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_mckinney1 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:58pm
post #22 of 39

When I find a cake that I like or (in particular) hope to use for inspiration one day, I don't always add it to favorites on CC. I have a "cake" folder in My Pictures, and within the cake folder I have "Mine" & "Others". So I save my inspiration photos to the others file where I can easily get to it. Inevitably, whenever I will need to look at it my internet will be out of order or the website will be updating, or something to keep me away. If it's on my computer, then I can always go to it.

annie84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annie84 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 3:00pm
post #23 of 39

I have only a limited number of cakes saved in my favourites with them all being wedding cakes (or a single tiered cake that i can use for wedding inspiration in the future) plus a handful of cookies. So while there are hundreds of other fabulous cakes on this site, because they aren't something that i can see myself using as inspiration in the future, I don't save them.

This doesn't mean that that you aren't doing a great job! I think the comments coming from the person you make the cake for are much more important than any that you will get from fellow CC'ers

tgress13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tgress13 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 3:12pm
post #24 of 39

Don't feel bad...there are so many pictures uploaded on the site that it's hard to show appreciation for all the ones you like. Sometimes I am in a rush so I just browse through. Other times when something really strikes me I'll leave a comment. I usually favorite anything I'd like to try someday. Also, don't forget to add really good keywords for your tags so the pic can come up during a specific search. I'm just glad people are actually looking at some of mine and feel warm and fuzzy when i get a favorite, but I don't hold my breath.

dreamacres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamacres Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 3:14pm
post #25 of 39

Please do not be disappointed. I do not go to the current posted cakes and save the ones I think are the best cakes. Maybe I should, shame on me. If I see one that I know will fit the theme of an upcoming event I will save it. I actually have some saved that are examples of what not to do!! Maybe we should have a "vote for best cake of day button" instead of most saved. What is everyones top reasons for saving a cake??? I vote for having someone in the spotlight each month and having them select a cake of the day, IndyDeb would be my vote for first month. She would be able to see great talent and also keep the "attackers" at bay. I could see it now, Dear IndyDeb: I do not understand why you did not place my cake today. I really worked hard on it. I know it was leaning, had elephant skin, and my dog took a bite of it, but I fixed it. What was your reason for not voting it the best cake ever? Reply from IndyDeb: ?????? I am laughing just to think of her reply!! I feel for those you are striving for that "most saved" status because I do not think it is a reflection of "best cake"

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 3:16pm
post #26 of 39

I am also self taught with no classes of any kind. I used to get a little upset as well, but I have quit. Simply because I too believe that the cakes I am doing or have done are really nothing special. Very special to the customer and to me, but the designs are dated. I recently did a zebra striped cake - OMG so much fun, however most people on here are like "been there, done that". And that is ok - because on FB I got comments like "Phenomenal", "Gorgeous", etc. Most of my friends on FB havent seen this style whereas folks on here have. So, I have come to a new understanding and agreement with myself - as long as my customers continue to smile, submit raving testimonials on my website - that is all I need.

Hope this helps you.
T

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 3:41pm
post #27 of 39

I completely understand where people are coming from on this and as mentioned above with the volume of cakes that go through cake central, there is just no way to see all of them. I have read several threads like this one in the past so I promised myself if I opened a cake photo and thought it was well done (seen it before or otherwise) I would post a comment and try and pick out the thing that made this cake special enough for me to open it. I challenge everyone: if you take the time to open a cake to look at it (and you like it) post a quick comment. I think it's more for the people posting to know someone is seeing their cakes. FYI Don't forget that views are a compliment too. If 100 people opened your cake to look at it...it was worth looking at. Also now that so many people can browse on their phones, viewing is easy but comments are harder to type in on the phone. So take encouragement from the views as well. I had to stop favoriting so many cakes because I had hundreds I knew I would never make so I try and comment. I also favorite ones that I want to use for inspiration for an upcoming cake but will unfavorite later.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 4:02pm
post #28 of 39

I have my laptop set so when I go into CC, I go straight to the forum page. I can't tell you the last time I even LOOKED at the home page. And I know I'm not the only one. Periodically, I'll go into the gallery to look at photos, where I can see all of the "latest uploads" all at once and I dont' have to wait for a slide show to move (I HATE slide shows!).

I also save a cake if I think I might want to try it someday, not because I think its a great cake. If I think its a great cake, I'll make a comment of such.

As was said above, dont' rest your sense of value on the number of clicks or favorites. If your client/friend liked it, that's all that counts. thumbs_up.gif

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 4:11pm
post #29 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbriggs06

i usually only 'save' a pic if it's one that i would like to try a design element on or am using for inspiration, etc.

this completely, I have saved many pics that I did not always think looked the "best" (mine sure the hell are not!) but I liked the colors, or the design was something I wanted to try. I recently did a cookie monster cake.. I saved many other cookie monster cakes as referrence. Some I liked the shape, some I liked the color blue they used, some I like the way the cookies were placed, ect. Now that I have made my cake one day I will take many if not ALL the cookie Monster cakes I saved off the list, I dont need them any more.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 7:12pm
post #30 of 39

I have to laugh at Debbie's comment because I do the opposite. I don't spend a lot of time in the forums but always go straight to the galleries. I look at the new uploads every day and try not to miss a cake. I never tire of looking at cake photos.

A lot depends on when your cake is uploaded. Some of our foreign members make such beautiful cakes but they often don't get seen because they are loaded in the middle of our night. Photos loaded on Fridays thru Mondays are often lost in the shuffle of the surge of weekend cake photos being uploaded. As you can tell, I've watched the trends. Honestly, there are just SO many cake photos loaded each day that I can see how some are overlooked.

Remember people are looking at a thumbnail and deciding whether or not that thumbnail looks interesting enough to click on it. If the photo is of poor quality or the background is cluttered then the thumbnail doesn't look very good. Also, if you have a cake that has been made a hundred times before, for instance the Toy Story bed cake, it has to be of superior quality for people to be interested in seeing it again. There are just some designs that have gotten old.

The cakes that make it to the front page are usually either something really unique or something that looks fairly simple for the layman to do. Most of our members are probably hobby bakers like me and while the fancy cakes catch my attention, ones that I might be capable of doing myself also catch my eye.

Last, I always believe to do unto others. If you want comments and saves, then you have to do the same for others. If you pull up a cake and just like it, then say so. I don't think you have to have anything grand to say. I can't tell you the number of times I just leave a comment that says, "I really like this cake." because I do.

Don't let a lack of comments or saves scare you away from loading photos. I've seen people upload 10 cakes with no comments and then get a front-pager on their next cake. You never know what people might like. And I LOVE looking at all of your cakes, so keep loading. I'm enjoying them and I am sure there are many others who are as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%