Sugar Flower Topper Question

Decorating By ThreeLittleBlackbirds Updated 8 Feb 2015 , 1:01pm by Chloezee

ThreeLittleBlackbirds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeLittleBlackbirds Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 11

Okay, I've done a lot of gum paste flowers but I've never wired them into a bouquet for a topper. I know that the wires cannot go directly into the cake, so what do you stick the wires into or how do you secure the bouquet to the top of the cake? Thanks!

10 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 11

You can use a styrofoam half ball or circle, if you have lots of flowers. If you don't have that many, you can make a mound of fondant on top of a piece of foamcore or cake cardboard and push the wires into the fondant.

I usually cover the styrofoam with little puffs of tulle and then add the flowers. The styrofoam goes on a piece of foamcore so it's not touching the frosting.

ThreeLittleBlackbirds Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 7:04pm
post #3 of 11

Okay, I figured thats how you would do it but I wasn't sure what the standard practice was for this. Thanks!!

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 7:16pm
post #4 of 11

I also heard you can gather straws together, place in cake then put flowers wires in the holes..just a suggestion.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 11

For this cake, http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1754722/1754726 we had the main flowers on long wires that we put into a straw in the center. Other flowers/berries, we just tucked in or if on wires, laid across the top of the cake, but never pushed into the cake.

Flowers attached on the sides of the cake http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1754722/1754724 were either on toothpicks or just glued on with vanilla. Again, berries/smaller flowers may have been tucked in, but were not put into the cake itself.

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 10:19pm
post #6 of 11

You can also use a ball of fondant on top of the cake and just stick the wires into the fondant which will not be eaten. Also someone mentioned styrofoam I would cove that with fondant so it doesn't touch the cake.

ThreeLittleBlackbirds Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 11:02pm
post #7 of 11

Up until now, thats always how I've done mine, by gluing them on with sugar glue right to the cake and then tucking the filler flowers and buds in. But now I need to build up a bouquet with some depth and height and I don't want the flowers to lay flat.

like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/17982336@N07/4873867758/

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 11:11pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeLittleBlackbirds

Up until now, thats always how I've done mine, by gluing them on with sugar glue right to the cake and then tucking the filler flowers and buds in. But now I need to build up a bouquet with some depth and height and I don't want the flowers to lay flat.

like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/17982336@N07/4873867758/

If you look closely at this photo, you can see a couple wires that go into either a foam half circle or fondant ball. Go to the large flower right in front; at the upper right of that flower, 2 flowers up, you can see the wires going into the form itself. I'd guess it looks to be foam covered in fondant. Beautifully done I might add.

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 4:32am
post #9 of 11

I use the styrofoam half ball covered with fondant and the flower wires stuck in it on the anniversary cake I made. The couple removed the topper and keep it under a dome. The sugar flowers are therefore protected and should last indefinitely. I'm doing a wedding cake now and the bride has requested the same technique for her topper of sugar flowers that mimic her bouquet. I'll use straws or flower picks for the sugar flowers that touch the cake so as to avoid possible lead contamination transfer.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1912817

Chloezee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chloezee Posted 8 Feb 2015 , 12:59pm
post #10 of 11

oops long belated note - I just put 3 thinnish dowels into the top layer, make a big on roundish chunk of fondant (sometimes wire bends into styrofoam), royal ice it onto the top layer (it has it's own little round of cardboard of courseand when it's solidly stuck but the fondant not too dry i stick the flowers in there and it almost looks like they've been thrust into the poor little cake. I do tell the bride to remove that top part flowers and all by lifting the whole caboodle off the cake by breaking the seal with a pallet knife or something??? I am very new but that worked for me. And then I started making long pieces of thick sausage fondant stuck with royal Icing down the cake  and when it was just a little dry I also stick the flowers into that, but always tell the bride that all the flowers are removavle in one long piece of fondant sausage.

Chloezee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chloezee Posted 8 Feb 2015 , 1:01pm
post #11 of 11

and if the sausage is too feeble cut pieces of the ol' styrofoam onto bits of cardboard and definiely cover in fondant and then stick it all the way around the cake with Royal Icing (to be lifted off with pallet knife. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%