How To Do Extension/bridge Work On A Square Cake ???

Decorating By strathmore Updated 28 Jan 2011 , 1:18am by sweettooth101

strathmore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strathmore Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 11:52pm
post #1 of 5

Can this be done ?? I want to do this on a little 8inch fruit cake but not sure how to get round the corners and make the strings even. So is there a method or some photos I can look at ?? I have searched on here but they are mostly round or the squares have something hiding the corners or other piping work to fill it in.

4 replies
K1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
K1976 Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 12:10am
post #2 of 5

I recommend either of Toba Garret books about decorating, bridge work is her speciality. HTH

strathmore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strathmore Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 12:21am
post #3 of 5

Hi thanks for the quick reply I do have one of her books - hence why I want to try it - she has inspired me !!! But it does not have squares only round so I suppose I will have to make a practice round one - but I just thought maybe I can practice on a square cake tin !!!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 12:44am
post #4 of 5

One way to do it it to do scalloping all around the cake, so that once you reach a corner it is hidden by the scalloped edging (the bridge work on the base of your cake board).

I would recommend looking at cake decorating resources from Australia as this method was popularized in the 1980s in Australia (although it goes back a lot earlier!) Nicholas Lodge (English) also has some excellent instructions on extension work in his International Sugarcraft books (I think Book 2).

sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 1:18am
post #5 of 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvNTmU9yORw&feature=channel

I love the way this lady explains and goes through the steps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%