Color Flow Vs Meringue Powder

Decorating By chixbaby27 Updated 27 Jan 2011 , 6:36pm by TexasSugar

chixbaby27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chixbaby27 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 6

I would like to spell out my daughter's name in color flow on sticks (like this one: http://www.pattycakesncookies.com/assets/images/autogen/a_Valentine_Birthday_Cake_1.jpg ) for her birthday cake. I just realized though that I only have meringue powder and won't be back to town in time to get the color flow. Can you use meringue powder in place of color flow? I know they are almost the same...

Also, if I want to put each letter on a stick, what would be the best way to do that? I haven't done a cake in some time and am excited to get started again. icon_smile.gif

Thanks in advance!

5 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 6

You can make royal icing with your MP and use that in place of the Color Flow. I've used both for the 'color flow' techinque, and they have worked fine.

I would do the letters and let them dry, then attach the sticks to the back with a little royal icing. You could also do a second heart for the back side and have it a double sided heart.

Kristie925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristie925 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 6

I also use royal icing in place of Color Flow. Just thin it to the right consistency. Actually, I don't think I've ever used Color Flow, only royal icing!

chixbaby27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chixbaby27 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 6

Great, thanks so much! How long does the royal take to set up?

Kristie925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristie925 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 6

Depends on how much you thin it, humidity, and how big the surface area of the design is. I made snowflakes and they took about 4 hours to dry.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 6:36pm
post #6 of 6

For smaller hearts like that I'd say 6-12 hours. The longer you can let them dry the better off you will be. If you need to quick dry them, you can put them in the oven with just the light on. Just make sure you leave a note on the knobs to remind yourself and others in the house not to turn the oven on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%