Stupid Hands

Decorating By CakeMixCakery Updated 27 Jan 2011 , 10:10pm by Evoir

CakeMixCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMixCakery Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 7:07am
post #1 of 4

So i just need to vent.... I have fibromyalgia and lately my hands have been to stiff and sore. Its hard to open jars and get a good grip on things. Its also getting harder to use a piping bag icon_cry.gif My hands get so shaky and i have to constantly stop because i just cant grip the bag anymore... Its so frustrating... does anyone else have this issue? Any tips or advice?

3 replies
Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 8:10am
post #2 of 4

I'm so sorry to hear that your FM is playing up! Do you feel this is a gradual decline in function overall, or just a flare because of being busy at present?

Have you spoken to your doctors about decent pain relief and anti-inflammatories? Because you won't actually damage anything by using your hands (its just painful, unlike RA where you need to sometimes limit activity to prevent joint damage) you may find this is enough to let you keep on caking.

One other suggestion would be planning to do your piping work and work requiring fine motor skills during the time of the day when your hands are feeling best, eg after pain meds kick in, after you've had a rest, etc.

Its quite debilitating when its not treated effectively, so I do hope you get some help somewhere. I know auto-immune patients who swear by SNA Chiropractors for helping in keeping them supple and pain free.

Good luck icon_smile.gif

CakeMixCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMixCakery Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 9:14pm
post #3 of 4

I think its just a flare because of the cold weather, and we have been making more cakes than usual. I find it hard to even carry a laundry basket... After tonight i don't have any cakes due for a while, so i am hoping that with a break my hands will start to get better...

I'm going to call my Dr and see if there is anything they can do, and i will look into SNA Chiropractors. Thank you!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 10:10pm
post #4 of 4

Good on you! I know how hard it is to have to change careers due to health issues, so it would be great to be able to keep on doing what you love icon_smile.gif

I hope you get some relaxing down time while there are no cakes pending!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%