Non Alcoholic Irish Cream Cake

Baking By aimlyles Updated 29 Jan 2011 , 3:35pm by nhbaker

aimlyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aimlyles Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 4:39am
post #1 of 8

I'd like to make the Irish Cream cake from the Gourmet Flavors list. The recipe calls for 1 ½ c Baileys and 1 c Irish Cream flavored coffee creamer or Mudslide mixer.

It's for my niece's 19th birthday but there will be little ones there as well so I need to make it without the alcohol. Would it taste the same if I leave out the Baileys and double up the Irish Cream coffee creamer? Any ideas are appreciated icon_smile.gif

TIA
Aimee

7 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 4:58am
post #2 of 8

I say yes, just double up the creamer or use the flavorings made for mochas and stuff.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 11:51am
post #3 of 8

It will definitely not taste the same, but it may still be good. Even an off brand irish cream greatly alters the flavor.

wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 8

It definately won't taste the same . Bailys is beautiful in cakes . I would love to know how you get on with this cake and how it works without the Bailys !

birdlady9771 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdlady9771 Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 11:25pm
post #5 of 8

The alcohol will bake out, so don't worry about serving it to kids.

03FLSTF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
03FLSTF Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 11:54pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdlady9771

The alcohol will bake out, so don't worry about serving it to kids.

I always thought the same thing; however, I just did a quick search for grins and was surprised at what I found. Check out the following link for the US Department of Agricultures Nutrient Data Laboratory calculated the percentage of alcohol remaining in a dish based on various cooking methods: http://www.ochef.com/165.htm. Also, in a number of the Baileys cake recipes the liquor is applied after the cake is baked.

The curtain climbers I know seem to prefer chocolate, vanilla, white, yellow, etc. over cakes with a liquor flavor. Another option would be to create a separate non-alcoholic cake with the same motif for the kiddies.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 3:03pm
post #7 of 8

03FLSTF, I can't pull up your link so I can't comment on it. But some of those studies, such as the one performed by Food Network, calculated the amount of the spirit or liqueur left in the baked or cooked item, misrepresenting the actual proof that remains. Alcohol evaporates at room temp, and rapidly when heated. What is left in my browned beef, for example, is maybe 20% of the original brandy, as can be seen by observation. But the percentage of alcohol in the remaining brandy has been greatly reduced from the original 20 proof (40%), making the actual alcohol almost non-existant. Vanilla extract, 35% (70 proof) by law, is always added to custards, etc., in the end when the custard is taken off the heat due to its high alcohol content. Adding it during the cooking process will evaporate all of it. Vanilla extract in baked goods cooks out. That is why vanilla beans and vanilla bean paste are the only way to preserve the flavor. Sometimes you are better off using immitation over extract in a high heat situation.

When I advertise my bakery items, I differentiate between spirits or liqueur used as an "extract", a few teaspoons, and my Bailey's cake which has 1/2 cup of Bailey's brushed on after the baking.

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 3:35pm
post #8 of 8

I just made this kind of cake and used mostly the Irish Cream coffee creamer and like 1/4 cup of actual Bailey's. It came out great and the taste was amazing.

I was always told that alcohol bakes out too. And even if it didin't, the miniscule amount used wouldn't be enough to affect anyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%