Red Buttercream!

Decorating By auntbeesbaking Updated 27 Jan 2011 , 12:31am by Evoir

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 11:38pm
post #1 of 3

I'm soo excited! icon_biggrin.gif

After doing cakes for 25 years or more, I finally had an epiphany at 3 am today while doing a cake. icon_surprised.gif Usually to get a true red, I use a bit of every red I own: Chinese Flaming Red, Red-Red, Holiday Red, Christmas Red, Tulip Red, ...you get the idea. Anyway, I thought why not do with red, what I do with black to get black (mix baking cocoa or just brown gel til I get a dark brown and then I don't have to use so much black gel to get black): use dark pink to get a dark pink and then use a red color. Well, I did that today, and only had to use my Christmas Red and wala-I got a true Red! I'm so excited!

I just had to share that and hope it helps someone out there. It made my day - it doesn't take much to make me happy, does it? thumbs_up.gif

2 replies
barb419 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barb419 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 12:22am
post #2 of 3

I have been going through this forum to find the answer to this very question!! I was almost ready to give up and just ask to see if I could get an answer soon!! I need to make a tool box cake and need red red. THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR THE HELP!!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 12:31am
post #3 of 3

The other thing I have tried with success is buying powdered red food colouring from an asian grocery store. It comes in big plastic screw-top jars. Works a treat!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%