Lint And Fondant/gum Paste...grrrr

Decorating By SugarMama5 Updated 1 Feb 2011 , 5:21pm by sillywabbitz

SugarMama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama5 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 16

Ok, I'm going a little crazy with lint. It seems like no matter how hard I try, there's always a little bit of lint getting into my fondant or gum paste. It's really driving me nuts. Any tips for avoiding this? I've been trying to keep everything super clean before I use the fondant/gum paste, what else can I do? icon_eek.gif [/code]

15 replies
annie84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annie84 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 16

I have this problem all the time too! When working with white fondant or gumpast I always try to wear a white tshirt and lint free pants (yoga pants work great!). It can be so frustrating

EmilysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilysCakes Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 16

My Wilton instructor's advice to us was to take a small piece of fondant and rub in your hands and over the work surface to collect as much lint as possible before you roll out your good fondant. It helps a lot but doesn't completely eliminate it.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 16

Make sure you're drying your hands and tools with lint free towels. I prefer flour sack towels.

RoseCitySugarcraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 16

I agree with Diane! I always wash my fondant work surfaces (cutting boards, rolling pins, impression mats, etc) and my hands, drying thoroughly with lint-free paper towels before I start.

I end up washing my hands VERY frequently during whatever fondant project I'm working on, too. Seems I can't got more than 20 minutes without gathering lint/dust on my hands....GRRR.

But I'm also going to adopt the rubbing surfaces with the fondant ball, between washings! I hadn't considered that before. Thanks for that, Emily!

SugarMama5 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 3:24am
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Make sure you're drying your hands and tools with lint free towels. I prefer flour sack towels.

What are flour sack towels & where do you buy them? I've never heard of them?

I decided to put on my Nike dry-fit shirt, there no way there could be lint on it, I hope! I did the ball of gum paste trick and that helped too.... And the paper towel too.... Honestly, the thing I domto make a cake! icon_wink.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 1:57pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Quote:

Do you realize in the time it took you to type that question, you could have Googled "flour sack towel" and instantly known more about them than I could ever tell you? icon_smile.gif

You can buy them pretty much anywhere you buy kitchen towels, but they are WILDLY overpriced at most retail stores. I buy mine at Sam's for less than $1 each.

SugarMama5 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 5:33pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Quote:
Quote:

Do you realize in the time it took you to type that question, you could have Googled "flour sack towel" and instantly known more about them than I could ever tell you? icon_smile.gif

You can buy them pretty much anywhere you buy kitchen towels, but they are WILDLY overpriced at most retail stores. I buy mine at Sam's for less than $1 each.

Lol, way too true! I'll have to look for them. I'm in Canada so there's no Sam's here, I'll start looking.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 10:47pm
post #9 of 16

Apart from using an scrap piece of fondant to clean your board, knead it with your fingers and hands for a few seconds, even if you have just washed and dried them. From sink to table it's amazing how much dust we pick up!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 11:09pm
post #10 of 16

Great tips re: fondant.

I find using old, washed calico coffee bags work the best, and they are the right size to slip over your hand to wipe up surfaces lint-free. I use one hand with a water mister - the other with the coffee bean bag (empty!)

(NB I buy gree coffee beans and they come in those calico bags, calico teatowels probably do the same job).

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 2:31am
post #11 of 16

Also check what type of rolling pin you're using. The Wilton rolling pins, the non-stick white and yellow ones, both become somewhat static and attract the dust particles. A wooden rolling pin would be less "static".

kimbordeaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbordeaux Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 2:57am
post #12 of 16

I'm happy to find that I'm not the only one experiencing this problem. I have done everything to fix my speckled white fondant... washing hands, washing table, washing rolling pin, using white towels, then re-doing all this multiple times while I'm working. I even changed out the filters in my heating/AC multiple times.

SugarMama5 Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 5:25pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmarks0

Also check what type of rolling pin you're using. The Wilton rolling pins, the non-stick white and yellow ones, both become somewhat static and attract the dust particles. A wooden rolling pin would be less "static".

Ah hah, that's what I've been using, I think next time I'll try using my wooden one.

I'm kinda thinking there's no way to completely avoid lint... Maybe working in a bubble would work better? Lol.... icon_wink.gif

cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 5:57pm
post #14 of 16

I have a normal routine that I use when working with fondant/gumpaste... First of all, NO CEILING FANS!!

and, I NEVER wear a shirt that isn't a simple, plain, cotton t-shirt... and I put my hair in a 'bun' that's so tight I'm sure it's cutting off the blood supply to my brain...

I scrub my hands, finger-nails, and my arms, (if I'm covering a cake in fondant) with a finger nail brush!!!

For all of my work surfaces, I use isopropyl alcohol that you can find in the pharmacy... it's the same thing that has been used in medical and dental office for cleaning and sterilization for years (I've worked in dentistry for over 20 years) .... it removes any residue, as well as killing most types of germs, and evaporates quickly.... but doesn't requires a drying cloth. I use it on my counter top and on my rolling pins!
I have about a dozen, Walmart brand flour sacks/ towels that I use for various purposes in the kitchen... they also work well as a quick apron!!

SugarMama5 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 5:07pm
post #15 of 16

Man the things we do to make a cake, lol, we must be nuts!

So many great tips, I'm going to do them all next time I cover a cake w/fondant. If people only knew what REALLY goes on to make great cakes, they'd understand why they're not cheap to buy. And I really wish you'd see more of that kind of things on cake boss or ace of cakes type shows, people seem to think that covering cakes in fondant, lol...

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 5:21pm
post #16 of 16

Wear synthetic shirts and pants. Jeans are the death of me. They make lint free scrubs and that's the next "Cake" purchase on my listicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%