Newbie Baker... In Need Of Help...

Decorating By EmilyJo9 Updated 28 Jan 2011 , 3:19am by Evoir

EmilyJo9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyJo9 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 2:08am
post #1 of 6

I have seen about a billion threads for timeline questions and it is so overwhelming that I just want some clarification about if my method will be okay... It will be the first time I test this method so I'm sure I will learn along the way but I want to make sure I have a good starting point... All input welcome...

My method (for Sunday delivery)

Wed. PM - Bake cake, wrap in plastic, freeze.
Thu. PM - Thaw, BC fill, stack, BC crumb coat, sit out uncovered overnight.
Fri. PM - Fondant cake, decorate

Will the method work?
Cake will be sitting out all day Saturday until delivery Sunday. Okay or not?

Thank you!

5 replies
zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 2:19am
post #2 of 6

I would not bother to thaw the cake before buttercreaming it, frozen cakes are easier to work with when doing buttercream. I would also put mine in the fridge so the butter in the icing goes hard as a rock, meaning it will be much easier for you to put the fondant on.

Also I would get it up to the stage where the fondant is on it the day before you decorate, giving you a whole day to do it.

But of course your method will work, it's down to preference. As long as you make sure every little bit is sealed with buttercream before you leave it uncovered overnight, or the air could get in and start making it stale.

EmilyJo9 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 2:24am
post #3 of 6

Thank you zespri. Those are the kind of answers I needed! I've been looking all day and just needed someone to tell me directly. Appreciate it!

graciesj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
graciesj Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 11:48pm
post #4 of 6

hi there Emily.

I'm sure by now you've mastered the art of when and how to bake. If you have any other questions I'll be more then happy to talk. go figure I just seen this tonight. gracie

EmilyJo9 Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 3:01am
post #5 of 6

Thanks graciesj! I actually haven't started the cake yet! I'm starting Wednesday! Very excited... It's my first fondant covered cake!!!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 3:19am
post #6 of 6

Good luck Emily - I have one more tip (learned from dear Leah on CC)...after you have filled with buttercream, place a ceramic tile (12 x 12 inch) on top of your large cake/tier to help settle it before applying fondant. This won't work I'd say if you are only working with a frozen cake at all times. But it is the MAIN thing that helps settle a cake (along with a thick dam, and keeping the inside filling below the level of your dam), so you do not develop any bulges in your fondant.

As an Australian, I am used to using ganache to seal the outside of my cakes before fondanting, and have never had an issue with bulges.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%