Did I Overcharge?

Decorating By kel58 Updated 25 Jan 2011 , 1:10pm by Kiddiekakes

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 12:58pm
post #1 of 4

Hey ladies. I know that people HATE these pricing questions but here is goes anyways. I think i just need some reassurance that im not screwing over my friend.

A friend contacted me to do her mom's 60th birthday cake in a couple weeks. It is a 12" and 8" 2 tier. Covered in fondant with very simple fondant accents. I quoted her $2 a serving (which i thought was pretty reasonable) so $120. She seemed pretty hesitant but then agreed that we would go ahead.

Im not not sure what she was expecting. A bigger deal? Is this cake was for her hubby or something i prob would have given her a great deal since they are both friends and clients (at my fulltime job as a hairstylist).

OR did I charge her more than I should have? I know that everywhere is different but i really dont think $2 a serving for fondant is unreasonable anywhere. am I wrong? icon_redface.gif

3 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 4

I charge $5.00 a serving for a fully fondant covered cake so I would say you way undercharged....There is alot of fondant needed for that cake..I bet you spend $50.00 alone in fondant never mind the ingredients for cake and your time decorating....I would have walked away at her hesitance.

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 1:07pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I charge $5.00 a serving for a fully fondant covered cake so I would say you way undercharged....There is alot of fondant needed for that cake..I bet you spend $50.00 alone in fondant never mind the ingredients for cake and your time decorating....I would have walked away at her hesitance.

Okay when I first gave her the price I thought that i was undercharging. I was okay with this since she is a good friend but then when she hesitated I doubted myself. I usually charge $2 a serving for just a simple buttercream.
Thanks for the reasurrance. I have 2 friends looking for wedding cakes next year so I know im not off base. I have never done an all fondant cake and charged for it. I have done a couple as gifts or my sons bday cakes.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 1:10pm
post #4 of 4

That would be my base price is $5.00 a serving..If the Bride/customer wants extra embellishments lke flowers,lots of trim etc you add to that.remember more is more money....and don't feel guilty.Your time is money!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%