Drummer Boy/kit Cake Dissaster

Decorating By suzied Updated 25 Jan 2011 , 1:18pm by suzied

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 10:39am
post #1 of 5

I am a hobby cake maker. one of my friend's friend wanted a two tier cake made for her sons 21st birthday this saturday and cancelled the order today saying that her father had died.i am sorry about her loss, but at the same time i spent many hours making a drummer boy and drum kit. I even coloured 3kgs of fondant last night and covered a size 16board in blue. she half heartedly said she could pay something back. i was originally to charge her 250/- (12 and 8" round chocolate cake) i have purchased around 110/= of stuff. i just dont know how to handle this. i didnt take an advance from her. if i do take any money, should i be giving her the stuff i purchased. not sure what to do, any advice.

4 replies
online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 10:59am
post #2 of 5

I would write it off and use the supplies for another cake that is sure to be in the near future. Fondant will keep if well sealed and stored at cool temps. Given the situation, I would just eat the cost. Always...always get paid something in advance, even if it's just to cover your supplies. Best of luck to you!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 11:15am
post #3 of 5

Bummer. I had a similar situation with a wedding. The groom got cold feet just 3 weeks before the wedding. I had bought a cake topper and cupcake laser-cut wrappers etc. As I remember, I offered the client one of two options:
1. Pay me 100% for the work/purchases done to date and I would give her the items I'd purchased.
2. Pay me 50% of the cost of those purchases and I would keep them.
She decided to pay 50% and I kept the stock, as it was gear I culd use anyway.

Its a bit different when there is a death in the family though. I'd be letting it go, on compassionate grounds. If however, someone offers you some money, then accept it with grace and assure them you will be able to make them a cake at some future date.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 12:59pm
post #4 of 5

I think you just paid your tuition in the School of Real Life. Always get a deposit!

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 1:18pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you all for taking the time to reply

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%