Help! Rice Krispies For A Cake

Decorating By NanaSandy Updated 25 Jan 2011 , 5:21pm by NanaSandy

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 4:51am
post #1 of 9

I am making a BMX cake for my son this weekend, and I am going to make the ramps out of RKT. Every time we make them, they turn out hard. I have read that it is because I push them down into the pan.
But I am wondering, if anybody has any ideas on how to keep them soft, like the ones you buy in the store??? (I know that the bunch of boys that are going to be at this party are going to want to eat them, and I don't want anybody breaking a tooth. )
icon_redface.gif
I was thinking that if we didn't add as many marshamallows? But not sure???? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!!!!

Also, I have to color fondant to look like cement. I am thinking just a tad of black will do the trick. Any suggestions? How about texturing it to make it look like cement? Without a texture mat.???

8 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 4:58am
post #2 of 9

the best thing to do is buy the family pack of rice krispy treats and use them. another member suggested that to me and bless their heart it worked.

to get that textured cement look you can make an impression by crinkling/wading up a piece of paper and then pressing into the fondant.

good luck

racechick311x Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
racechick311x Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 5:11am
post #3 of 9

If you have a GFS marketplace close they sell big squares of RKT that feed like 20 and you could use that, the cake I just did this past weekend I used them for the ramps and I also used them for the texture in the green.

NanaSandy Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 5:15am
post #4 of 9

UGH! We don't have one! I live in pretty small town, with no cake supply stores. I was thinking about Sams club, but I would still pay more there than it would cost to make them.

Nusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nusi Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 6:13am
post #5 of 9

the recipie on cake central worked well for me.. not too har and not too soft

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 2:15pm
post #6 of 9

what recipe are you using for your RKT? i use one that is equal amounts marshmallows and rice crispy's

FrenchCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrenchCakes Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 3:27pm
post #7 of 9

I found this recipe on Sugar Sweet's blog (a.k.a AngelFood4 on cc)
She uses vegetable oil instead of butter so the RKT don't go stale as fast.

Have a look:
http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/08/barney-and-friends-cake.html

HTH

NanaSandy Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 5:20pm
post #8 of 9

thank you for all the great ideas. Going to start trying some stuff out tonight!

NanaSandy Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 5:21pm
post #9 of 9

leily: I am using the recipe on the Rice Krispie box.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%