What Sizes Are These Tiers And How Do I Put Them Together?

Decorating By kristanashley Updated 24 Jan 2011 , 3:37pm by cfpeoples

kristanashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristanashley Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 11

I was thinking from the bottom up: 16", 12", 6" separator, doubled 8", 4" separator, 6". I'm just not sure... What do you think? I'm going to be using dummies for the separators... do you think they are 2 or 3 inches high? Also, how do I support a cake like this? Thanks for your help!

10 replies
kristanashley Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 11

So I'm looking at it again.. and I think I got it wrong... maybe this is a better guess: 14", 10", 6" separator, 8" double, 4" separator, 6"... The rest of the questions still apply... icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 11

After decorating:
In the bottom 14, place a SPS plate and leg assembly as usual.
In the 10, place a SPS plate and leg assembly as usual.
Place the 10 on top of the 14. Put on ribbons.
Smear bc or ri in the center of the 10. Place decorated 8 styro.

For the double 8, treat it as two tiers, stacked that just happen to be the same size. Cardboard at the bottom of the lower 8. Put in SPS plate and leg assembly in as usual. The upper 8 will sit on a 7 cardboard. Put the SPS plate and leg assembly in as usual. Now decorate with fondant. Smear bc or ri on styro, place double 8. Frankly I'd do this step and the next steps at the venue.

Smear bc or ri on the double 8, place styro.

Smear bc or ri on the styro, place decorated 6.

kristanashley Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 11

That sounds about right.. Thanks! Do you think the separators are 2" tall?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 2:24pm
post #5 of 11

I don't understand the question. The SPS legs come in 4", 5" 7" and 9" precut lengths. To get a 2" leg, you'd need to cut it.

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 2:25pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks Leah! I always wondered how this style worked, I was wondering though what keeps the styrafoam from pushing down inot the below cake with no supports and the sps cakes sitting on top the foam?

kristanashley Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 2:26pm
post #7 of 11

I meant the styrofoam separators... I can see how that would be confusing... icon_razz.gif

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 2:28pm
post #8 of 11

i think the seperators are 2". height wise (bottom to top), i think its 4"/3"/2"(seperator)/8"/2"(seperator)/4". maybe. lol its just my guess!

kristanashley Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 2:36pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake_architect

i think the seperators are 2". height wise (bottom to top), i think its 4"/3"/2"(seperator)/8"/2"(seperator)/4". maybe. lol its just my guess!

I was thinking that too... but the ribbon is wider on the 2nd tier from the bottom, so it gives the illusion that it is shorter than it is I think...I wonder if you're right, or if the bottom tier is 5" tall and the next tier is 4"...

kristanashley Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 2:50pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

After decorating:
In the bottom 14, place a SPS plate and leg assembly as usual.
In the 10, place a SPS plate and leg assembly as usual.
Place the 10 on top of the 14. Put on ribbons.
Smear bc or ri in the center of the 10. Place decorated 8 styro.

For the double 8, treat it as two tiers, stacked that just happen to be the same size. Cardboard at the bottom of the lower 8. Put in SPS plate and leg assembly in as usual. The upper 8 will sit on a 7 cardboard. Put the SPS plate and leg assembly in as usual. Now decorate with fondant. Smear bc or ri on styro, place double 8. Frankly I'd do this step and the next steps at the venue.

Smear bc or ri on the double 8, place styro.

Smear bc or ri on the styro, place decorated 6.

A Couple of questions... Do you place your styrofoam on cardboard so that it sits on the sps plate just right? Also, with the doubled 8" should I use a 7" sps plate in between as well since I'm covering the whole thing in fondant?

cfpeoples Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfpeoples Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 3:37pm
post #11 of 11

I have a question too....do you use cake dummies for the styrofoam separators? Thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%