I Picked My Business Name...tell Me What You Think?

Business By Normita Updated 15 Feb 2011 , 11:39pm by mrsfoxxy2u

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 2:14am
post #31 of 65

Ooooh....Sugar and Slice!! Thats nice icon_smile.gif

But I think I am really LOVING "Cakes Delish"!! I dont know but there is something about that name that makes me feel good...I really love it!!

Normita Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 2:15am
post #32 of 65

I just want to take the time and thank everyone for their helpful suggestions and ideas!!

I sure could not have done this without you guys!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 2:18am
post #33 of 65

if you dont' like Stockton as part of the name, does Stockton have any nicknames?

for example, CC's own jillmakescakes calles her biz "Indy Cakes" (Indy short for Indianapolis). Indps is also known as The Circle City and there are a number of "Circle City Whatever" busiensses in town. I'm from a small town that was known as "The Rose City" (largest grower of greenhouse roses in the country) so there were a lot of "Rose City Whatever" businesses.

Normita Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 2:54am
post #34 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

if you dont' like Stockton as part of the name, does Stockton have any nicknames?

for example, CC's own jillmakescakes calles her biz "Indy Cakes" (Indy short for Indianapolis). Indps is also known as The Circle City and there are a number of "Circle City Whatever" busiensses in town. I'm from a small town that was known as "The Rose City" (largest grower of greenhouse roses in the country) so there were a lot of "Rose City Whatever" businesses.

Debi... The only thing that Stockton is known for is having one of the highest crime rates in California!! Let's put it this way.... You want your car stolen, come to Stockton thumbsdown.gif

So, I really don't want the name of my town I'm my business name. But I totally see how it could help for advertising purposes.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 3:17am
post #35 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

Quote:

Debi... The only thing that Stockton is known for is having one of the highest crime rates in California!! Let's put it this way.... You want your car stolen, come to Stockton thumbsdown.gif

So, I really don't want the name of my town I'm my business name. But I totally see how it could help for advertising purposes.

"Stockton Cakes- Better get them before someone steals them!"
"Stockton Sweets- Come and get it before your car get stolen!" icon_lol.gif lol Just kidding!

Sorry icon_redface.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 3:32am
post #36 of 65

Stockton Cakes - so good, its criminal!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 3:48am
post #37 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistachioCranberry

My business name came from an experience, maybe something profound will happen to help you.

I had been playing around with names for so long, but when I entered a competition in October and happened to win the door prize of a mixer, it just hit me. The new mixer was pistachio and I already had a cranberry colored one. I went with creations because I don't want to pigeon hole myself if I do more than cakes one day.

Your post made me think of "Sweet Creations"

Normita Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 3:50am
post #38 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

Quote:

Quote:

"Stockton Sweets- Come and get it before your car get stolen!" icon_lol.gif lol Just kidding!

Sorry icon_redface.gif

LOL LOL!!!! I love this one... Stockton Cakes- Better get them before someone steals them!"

Too funny icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Normita Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 3:50am
post #39 of 65
Quote:

Stockton Cakes - so good, its criminal!

Debi...you had my cracking up LOL!!

mrsfoxxy2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsfoxxy2u Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 4:03am
post #40 of 65

LOLOLOL...this post had me laughing thru the whole 3 pages...you all rock! honestly i agree with the luscious name (too kinky), i would definitely not use stockton givin it's rep, i really like sugar and slice, cake-delish doesn't give me that feel of ohhh gotta try that place. picking a name can be tough, my first suggestion make sure you check and make sure any of the names your toying with aren't already trademarked. you might be able to knock a few out that way. i also agree with not limiting yourself to a name with CAKE in it, you'd be surprised what you might end up doing if business is good! i had TONS of names in mind when i first started thinking, most involved cake...then i noticed a big interest truffles, cookies, etc. i wound up going with simply irresistible (liked the song, loved the movie and it was one of the first ones i wrote down). true it could work for many things other than cake, but i got a logo and design that SCREAMS dessert on it. it will come to you, ask around, friends neighbors etc. if you have a nitch, like organic products, or intricate sugar designs, try playing with those! sugar and slice, a taste of heaven, divine desserts, cali cakes, simply sweet, delicious designs....good luck!!! keep us posted!!!

Normita Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 4:10am
post #41 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfoxxy2u

LOLOLOL...this post had me laughing thru the whole 3 pages...you all rock! honestly i agree with the luscious name (too kinky), i would definitely not use stockton givin it's rep, i really like sugar and slice, cake-delish doesn't give me that feel of ohhh gotta try that place. picking a name can be tough, my first suggestion make sure you check and make sure any of the names your toying with aren't already trademarked. you might be able to knock a few out that way. i also agree with not limiting yourself to a name with CAKE in it, you'd be surprised what you might end up doing if business is good! i had TONS of names in mind when i first started thinking, most involved cake...then i noticed a big interest truffles, cookies, etc. i wound up going with simply irresistible (liked the song, loved the movie and it was one of the first ones i wrote down). true it could work for many things other than cake, but i got a logo and design that SCREAMS dessert on it. it will come to you, ask around, friends neighbors etc. if you have a nitch, like organic products, or intricate sugar designs, try playing with those! sugar and slice, a taste of heaven, divine desserts, cali cakes, simply sweet, delicious designs....good luck!!! keep us posted!!!

I'm glad this thread kept you laughing....cuz I knowo I was LOL!!

How do I check if a name is trademarked?

Annabakescakes Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 4:13am
post #42 of 65
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

Quote:

Sorry icon_redface.gif

LOL LOL!!!! I love this one... Stockton Cakes- Better get them before someone steals them!"

Too funny icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif It could work!

Glad you liked it thumbs_up.gif

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 4:21am
post #43 of 65

Great thread Normita, really got me giggling icon_smile.gif

I really like sugar and slice so cute!

Here's the website to check on current trademarks. Click on the link that says search marks

http://www.uspto.gov/index.jsp

mrsfoxxy2u Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 4:49am
post #44 of 65

yep that link nailed it, just check the name and don't be discouraged if you see one of your names...check its USE...if it has nothing to do with baking it can still be trade marked ex. sugar and slice may be trademarked as a clothing store (i know...just an example) but not as a bakery, baked goods etc, then you can trademark it. also check all the dots. .com, .org, some people have the name you may want, so before you pay the piper so to speak make sure the availability is there!!! keep us posted and keep laughing, it makes your decision easier when your havin a little fun!!! icon_smile.gif

Ladyfish74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladyfish74 Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 5:48am
post #45 of 65

Normita,
I'm from Sacto so I know exactly what you mean about Stockton! When Indydebi asked if Stockton had any nicknames I thought "oh yes, but none you could put in a business name!" lol. Just for the record, Cakes Delish and cakelicious were just suggestions to get you to look at things in a different way. Delish actually makes me think of Rachel Rae. The word delicious has been around since we have been eating so "licious" doesn't make all of us think of a bootylicious pop star. I guess that all depends on the age of your clinetele.

Since Stockton does indeed have a high crime rate how about Killer Confections..sweets to die for... or maybe "Cake Criminals"...so good it should be illegal..LOL. You've had a lot of great suggestions here. Mull them over for a few days and see which one you keep going back to. In the end, you have to really like your name because that will come through when you are talking to people about your business. The name that you choose will define the flavor of your business so don't rush it!

Normita Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 6:04am
post #46 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfish74

Normita,
I'm from Sacto so I know exactly what you mean about Stockton! When Indydebi asked if Stockton had any nicknames I thought "oh yes, but none you could put in a business name!" lol. Just for the record, Cakes Delish and cakelicious were just suggestions to get you to look at things in a different way. Delish actually makes me think of Rachel Rae. The word delicious has been around since we have been eating so "licious" doesn't make all of us think of a bootylicious pop star. I guess that all depends on the age of your clinetele.

Since Stockton does indeed have a high crime rate how about Killer Confections..sweets to die for... or maybe "Cake Criminals"...so good it should be illegal..LOL. You've had a lot of great suggestions here. Mull them over for a few days and see which one you keep going back to. In the end, you have to really like your name because that will come through when you are talking to people about your business. The name that you choose will define the flavor of your business so don't rush it!

Thanks Ladyfish....I did get a lot of good suggestions!! I checked "sugar and slice" and that is already trademarked so I cant use that....but for some reason "Cakes Delish" is attracting me!! I know some people really didnt care for it here, but I seem to like it alot. I dont know why....but there is something about that name that I like. I am envisioning that name with a cool logo and dark rich colors and I am liking it!!

I am going to give it a couple of days and if I still feel the same way about it....then "Cakes Delish" it is icon_smile.gif

Ladyfish74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladyfish74 Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 3:09pm
post #47 of 65

Well good! Let us know what you decide icon_biggrin.gif

Annabakescakes Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 3:40pm
post #48 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfish74

Normita,

I love these! Those would work here in Cinci as well! We got a show!!! Police Women of CinciIt is airing Thursday, on TLC, I think. Pretty neat! We live right across the river, about 5 miles, as the crow flies, but if you use roads, lol, it is about 18 miles. Darn roads! My DH grew up there, but in the suburbs, all mollycoddled.
icon_lol.gif Not the streets.

Niki11784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki11784 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 4:49pm
post #49 of 65

Love this thread....so many great ideas! When I was trying to think of a name for my business someone mentioned "Sweet Creams" and that always stuck in my head. I like one word names too- it seems classy and chic, so I went with "Frosted". Too bad sugar and slice is taken- its adorable!

Annabakescakes Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 5:12pm
post #50 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki11784

Love this thread....so many great ideas! When I was trying to think of a name for my business someone mentioned "Sweet Creams" and that always stuck in my head. I like one word names too- it seems classy and chic, so I went with "Frosted". Too bad sugar and slice is taken- its adorable!

That one sounds a bit dirty as well. icon_redface.gif I must be a pervert, or love food in the wrong way.

Niki11784 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 5:16pm
post #51 of 65

lol, thats funny! I thought luscious sounded dirty too, but sweet creams was a spinoff of sweet dreams.

Normita Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 7:12pm
post #52 of 65

I guess I'm glad I didn't go with luscious cakes, as the more I think about it it sounds nasty!!

One word names are way cool....but it's so hard. "frosted" is super cute.... There's a shop nearby that's called "frost".

Idk...but I still like "Cakes Delish...or written Cakes De~lish" or something like that icon_smile.gif

Niki11784 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 7:14pm
post #53 of 65

"iced" is similar, and also really cute.

Normita Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 7:19pm
post #54 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki11784

"iced" is similar, and also really cute.

That's too cute too. Let me check out the trademarked website to see if thats on there

Normita Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 7:23pm
post #55 of 65

[quote="leafO"]Great thread Normita, really got me giggling icon_smile.gif

I really like sugar and slice so cute!

Here's the website to check on current trademarks. Click on the link that says search marks

http://www.uspto.gov/index.jsp[

I have searched sone names to see if they are trademarked but don't understand when it means "dead or alive"

EpicureanMaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EpicureanMaiden Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 7:38pm
post #56 of 65

What about just "Luscious"
But saying it out loud...I guess it does sound naughty....but is that so wrong? lol

mrsfoxxy2u Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 8:46pm
post #57 of 65

when you see dead it means it was used but is no longer active, therefore you can trade mark it. if you see alive it means it is currently active and you can't use it. but make sure its for baking...if its for clothing or toys etc it doesn't make a difference if its dead or alive....baking/pastry/baked goods etc. are all you want to look at. for example my name is simply irresistible and is active/live under all baked goods, bake shops, desserts. but there is another simply irresistible that is trademarked by a clothing retail store, doesn't affect me because we are under different categories. and don't forget to LOOK for the dots! my name is .org because .com was taken, if both were taken i would have checked .net etc. being that the internet is such a well used form of selling almost anything you want to make sure your name is available for trade mark and internet! good luck! sounds like you like cakes~delish, if it feels right and really speaks to you DO IT!!!

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 8:57pm
post #58 of 65

California Dreamin'...Cakes

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 9:16pm
post #59 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by madchen

California Dreamin'...Cakes

I like that thumbs_up.gif

EpicureanMaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile