Recipe For Cake Sculpting

Baking By cakecrumbs116 Updated 3 Feb 2011 , 1:20pm by helpme9999

cakecrumbs116 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrumbs116 Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 5:11am
post #1 of 5

Can someone please tell me what type of recipe you use for sculpted cakes. My cake is too soft and it falls apart when I try to carve into it.

4 replies
Love2BakeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love2BakeCakes Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 5:16am
post #2 of 5

Blessings Cakecrumbs

I use butter cakes a lot when carving ... they hold up well. Make sure you let your cake set up for a good amount of time in the refrigerator. Leave your cakes in the cake pan to cool, then refrigerate. I crumb coat mine then refrigerate it no less than 3 hours before attempting to carve.

A lady I was speaking with was telling me she had the same problem. When she took her cakes out of the oven she let them cool about 15 minutes or so then removed them from the pan and did NOT refrigerate them at all. She thought refrigerating them would take away the moisture from the cake. And it could if left in for a long period of time.

You need a dense cake for carving.

HTH!

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 5:33am
post #3 of 5

Pound cakes are good for carving, as are cakes that are more dense. I've used the Hershey Chocolate Cake to carve with, as well as cakes that start with a mix and have flour, sour cream and pudding mix added (along with eggs etc). But one thing you'll find helps is to freeze the cake a bit. I wouldn't crumb coat it first as that's just a waste of icing, and not really necessary. I've torted and filled and then carved as well as carved and then torted and filled. Refrigerating your cake can dry it out, but carving a frozen cake is easier.

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 6:22am
post #4 of 5

I have a super great recipe, but Im on vacation away from my kitchen. As I recall I googled "dense cake recipes" and found it It is a doctored box cake, super good and holds together very well. I freeze mine for a couple hours before carving and sometimes have to refreeze if its a big cake. hth

helpme9999 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helpme9999 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 1:20pm
post #5 of 5

Need a madeira cake recipe that is not dry or any cake that can be carved

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%