20-Minute Cookie Decorating Demonstration

Baking By karabeal Updated 24 Jan 2011 , 5:15pm by karabeal

karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 1:07am
post #1 of 6

Hello all,

I've just been asked to do a 20-minute cookie decorating demonstration for my church women's group in a couple of weeks--about 30 people will probably attend. Following the demonstration, the women will try their hands at decorating using some of the techniques I've shown them. The cookies and icing (probably Toba's glace because it is my favorite) will be made/colored/bagged in advance, so none of that will count against my time.

What techniques do you think will be best to do with everyone? And what do you think the priority should be: Flooding, marbling, polka dots? I wonder if I'll have much time after that. I can have come cookies flooded and dried in advance so I can show them layer on layer . . .

Any ideas, thoughts, advice? Thanks a million!

5 replies
awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 1:44am
post #2 of 6

You may want to show the flooding technique because I know a lot of people often ask how it gets to be so smooth. Maybe some already flooded and some not?

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 2:08am
post #3 of 6

Show them flooding and wet on wet technique.
For example since it is close to Valentines day you can do wet on wet (dots) and then make the dots look like heart using a tooth pick.
Have butterfly cookies, again do flooding and wet on wet and decorate the wings.

Another idea is flooding and then covering the whole cookie with sanding sugar. You can also do 2 - 3 different colors.

Stenciling is also fast and easy. They will also learn how to use powder colors or gel colors (either one that you use).

HTH

karabeal Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you, friends. I appreciate your help. I think 20 minutes will fly by!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 5:00pm
post #5 of 6

When I do cookie demos, I start with the tye dye tee shirt cookies (5 minutes) then go on to either the snow floozys (lady snowmen with bling) or the mittens (another 5 - 10 minutes.) Time permitting I'll do another tye dye tee shirt cookie or take questions. This shows them outlining, flooding, flocking, sugar embellishments, gel writing and smoothing royal icing without a spoon. (I like to cram a LOT of information into a little bit of time)! icon_biggrin.gif Good luck!

karabeal Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 6

Awesome, bobwonderbuns! I appreciate it--especially your tipr on how much I might be able to accomplish if I work quickly. I'm confident I won't be faster than you as this is my first demo. icon_wink.gif And I love those tie-die shirts!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%