Questions On Ganache

Baking By zinger60 Updated 24 Jan 2011 , 6:24pm by cocobean

zinger60 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zinger60 Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 12:30am
post #1 of 4

I have a wedding cake to make in June. It is 3 tier stacked right on top of each other and they want buttercream frosting with ganache poured on top and drizzled partway down the sides. The cake will be set up about 3 hours before the reception. I am concerned with the ganache being too soft and maybe melting. Is there a way to make it so that it firms up more? I mix my chocolate with heavy cream but have heard some people use half cream and half vegetable oil? What would be the purpose of that and how would it affect the taste? Is there anything else I could use in place of the ganache that would tast good or something I add to the ganache to make it firmer after it sets up?

3 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zinger60 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zinger60 Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the link! I did look at that previously. I'm thinking the only problem with using her recipe is that my bride and groom want something that tastes like ganache on the cake. In the link, she is just using bacically thinned out chocolate. I think it would be a much different taste. If I could just find out how to get the ganache to set up firmer, that would be ideal.

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 4

...try this recipe. It is my favorite because I always have these ingredients on hand. People love the taste and it does set up nice.

Sarah Bernhardt Chocolate Glaze:
8 oz. good chocolate chips (semi sweet)
6 oz. salted butter (not unsalted)
1 T. karo syrup

Use a 2 or 4 cup pyrex measuring cup. Melt in mirco in short intervals. Stir until melted. Should be the consistancy of Hershey syrup or slightly thicker. Pour over cake starting in center and moving in a circular motion.
Sets up in about 20 min. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%