What Makes A Crusting Bc Crust?

Baking By Scarlets-Cakes Updated 31 Jan 2011 , 9:08pm by TexasSugar

Scarlets-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 6

I use butter, shortening, vanilla, heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar. It crusts very nicely. But I don't like a crust on my cupcakes. Can someone give me a good recipe for NON-crusting BC?

5 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 6

The cooked icings like the SMBC and IMBC do not crust, so that may be something to look at.

There are a few recipes using powder sugar that don't crust. One is the Whimsical Bakehouse's recipe, but it has a huge amount of fat in it.

If you want your icing to crust less you can always up the fat (butter/shortening) in the recipe. It will take a lot for it not to crust, but a softer crust might work for ya.

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 12:24am
post #3 of 6

I agree with TexasSugar, more fat or less sugar. You may want to eliminate the whipping cream also. I was having the opposite problem, mine wasn't crusting and I wanted it to. Someone suggested upping the amount of sugar and adding whipped cream and that worked great, my icing crusts perfectly now.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 2:14am
post #4 of 6

The above two are correct .. its the ratio of sugar to fat that causes it.

More sugar ... more crusting.

I always remember it because more sugar makes it thicker or (stiffer) and stiff or crusted icing will hold its shape.

Scarlets-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 12:11am
post #5 of 6

Thank you, everyone. I'm going to try some SMBC right now and see if that's what I'm trying to get for my cupcakes. Then I'll play around with my fat/sugar ratio on my american bc and see if that makes a difference.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 9:08pm
post #6 of 6

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%