Icing Consistency For Piping Letters / Messages

Baking By esecakes Updated 23 Jan 2011 , 11:58pm by FullHouse

esecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esecakes Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 6

New to cake decorating and have learnt so much on from the people on cake central. Still continuing with my education and looking for a recipe/advice on how to prepare icing for piping lettering/messages on cakes. When I pipe using Wilton's #2 or #3 tip the icing never really seems to 'flow' properly.

Looking for advice on how to prepare the icing properly;
1. do you use 1/2 butter or all HR shortening icing?
2. thin the icing with clear corn syrup?
3. mix icing with Wilton's piping gel in a certain percentage?
4. other?

Appreciate any advice that's out there. Searched for this subject in previous forums but wasn't successful.

Thanks

5 replies
Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 6

Try using tip #4 or just thin with water. It really doesn't need to be very soupy unless you pipe/write on cakes all day long.

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 6

Hello!

When piping a message - your icing should be a thin consistency
If you are using the Wilton buttercream recipe - you should use 2 teaspoons of water for each cup of stiff consistency to make it thin. Adding 1/2 teaspoon of piping gel per cup of icing - works ok - but I rarely use piping gel.

I use all crisco (shortening) - I use Indydebi's buttercream (In recipe section)
U can thin your icing with water and or corn syrup) see above - just a little water at a time.

Stiff Consistency - Roses - Flowers/up right pedals(If icing cracks when piping flower - it is too stiff)
Medium Consistency - Stars - borders - flowers - pedals(that lye flat) ADD extra 1 teaspoon to recipe to get medium consistency

Icing cake - you should have a thin consistency icon_smile.gif

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 9:47pm
post #4 of 6

I used to have this problem too. Just use water to thin your icing to a consistency that works for you.

Now if I could just get rid of those little spikes everytime I finish a letter or dot icon_sad.gif

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 9:59pm
post #5 of 6

If you get the spikes - just stop squeezing as soon as you get to your end point and pull away - you'll get it icon_smile.gif

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 11:58pm
post #6 of 6

I definitely prefer to use then icing with piping gel, makes the writing SO much smoother.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%