Cake Mixes - What Do You Say? How Do Your Customers React?

Decorating By allaboutcakeuk Updated 11 Feb 2013 , 8:23am by Nornni

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 25

Hi I've been considering some cake mixes - most of my cakes are scratch but I recently tried out a red velvet as a trial for cupcakes and loved it. Its a huge bag and I'm sure i'll use it again.

I was wondering for those of you who use box mixes what you tell your customers if they ask if you make your own? What kind of reaction do you normally get from customers/people if you use a mix?

I mentioned the other day to a friend about using a box mix and the reaction I got was "oh my god that's cheating!" I was quite taken aback as i'm professional with the cakes I make and decorate whether scratch baked or not.

Would be interested to hear people's thoughts or experiences
icon_biggrin.gif

24 replies
motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 25

you might want to search this, its been beaten to a pulp!

most people say do what best serves you, if you are confident in your product, so will customers.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 11:50pm
post #3 of 25

I know that I do both scratch and doctored mix and people LOVE the doctored mix. However those same people would probably be pretty horrified to know they just raved over a doctored box mix. So....I try to avoid it if I can. I'd probably try to focus on the recipes I do from scratch and skim over the box ones if I can. The last time I admitted to someone I used a doctored mix (she chose a mix chocolate over scratch in a tasting!) I never heard back from her!!!! So its going to have to just be my secret.

I guess you could say that everything is "homemade" because it is....

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 12:04am
post #4 of 25

"Thank you for your interest but we never discuss our recipes." If they persist "Some start with a commercial base, some don't." Period. End of discussion. icon_biggrin.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 12:08am
post #5 of 25

Thank you everyone - the reply suggestions are brilliant i will definitely remember them. Great answers!

SkBriBri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SkBriBri Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 2:36am
post #6 of 25

I have often wondered that to. Some Cakes that are large and have Tons of detailing it's hard because it's allot of work. . We all know how much goes into a cake! I'm not sure if allot of people realize how much of an art it is. U think Pay by the hour, and really profit time wise..... isn't always on the cakers side. But there are sometimes on those cake project that really good sales come on. U can get box mix's for under $1 each ... I don't know If I can make that from Scratch for a buck! if u know what I mean.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 2:42am
post #7 of 25

Have your friend ask some of the bakeries in your area the same thing, and you'll find out that many bakeries use cake mixes.

I have been asked this 2 times in the 18 months since I have started doing this. I do both scratch and doctored cake mixes. My basic flavors are doctored mixes. The first customer went ahead with the order, she loved it. Her 14 year old, who is a team mate of my son, came to me as I was waiting for football practice to end and told me that I make the best cakes ever. The other customer asked me because his daughter has reactions to certain chemicals, so I made my scratch carrot cake for him and he loved it. So I have not lost a customer and have had many reviews. If a person asks me, I tell them the truth.

Stephy42088 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephy42088 Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 3:00am
post #8 of 25

My cousin (a food broker) told me to not tell people you don't bake from scratch if you use a doctored mix because in a sense you are baking from scratch when you add all the other ingredients (i suppose it depends on the recipe). I'm not sure I completely agree but I think that if anyone ever asks me about my recipes I'll just say "If i tell you I'll have to kill you icon_biggrin.gif " or "its an old secret family recipe."

allaboutcakeuk Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 7:04pm
post #9 of 25

lol good idea, I have to say its true I spoke to a local baker who has asked if I will do some icing of his cakes and he does some scratch as it works out cheaper for him as he can buy ingredients in huge bulk yet a lot of his savoury goods are mixes or bought wholesale and then just baked in the oven by him. Everyone who has had a cake from me so far has said how great they are and I think if people wanted something really really cheap they would go to a supermarket anyway and all their cakes are production line ready mixes icon_smile.gif

Cocobongo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cocobongo Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 7:47pm
post #10 of 25

Can I ask what make the Red Velvet was you bought? I'm in the UK too and would just like to try it. Thanks icon_smile.gif

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 8:28pm
post #11 of 25

I always thought it was cheating too until my Wilton instructor pointed something out to me:

A cake mix is mostly just flour and sugar and stuff that you would have put in the cake anyway. icon_smile.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 8:31pm
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobongo

Can I ask what make the Red Velvet was you bought? I'm in the UK too and would just like to try it. Thanks icon_smile.gif

Hi there I got the macphie mix it requires eggs oil and water to be added is a good mix very moist too icon_smile.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 8:45pm
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sccandwbfan

I always thought it was cheating too until my Wilton instructor pointed something out to me:

A cake mix is mostly just flour and sugar and stuff that you would have put in the cake anyway. icon_smile.gif

That's very true! Just all sorted for you already icon_smile.gif

Cocobongo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cocobongo Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 8:47pm
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutcakeuk

Quote:

Hi there I got the macphie mix it requires eggs oil and water to be added is a good mix very moist too icon_smile.gif

I've never heard of macphie. Do you get it at the supermarket?

allaboutcakeuk Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 9:01pm
post #15 of 25
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I've never heard of macphie. Do you get it at the supermarket?

No sorry it's a bakery mix can buy from wholesalers they have a website. It comes in 12.5 kg bags though hope this helps

luv2bake4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake4u Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 9:16pm
post #16 of 25

Hi,
I just do cakes for a hobby but people seem to love the WASC. I just tell them it is semi-scratch. icon_smile.gif I have never had anyone fuss over whether or not its scratch.

NapierCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NapierCakes Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 8:06pm
post #17 of 25
Quote:

Hi I've been considering some cake mixes - most of my cakes are scratch but I recently tried out a red velvet as a trial for cupcakes and loved it. Its a huge bag and I'm sure i'll use it again.

I was wondering for those of you who use box mixes what you tell your customers if they ask if you make your own? What kind of reaction do you normally get from customers/people if you use a mix?

I mentioned the other day to a friend about using a box mix and the reaction I got was "oh my god that's cheating!" I was quite taken aback as i'm professional with the cakes I make and decorate whether scratch baked or not.

Would be interested to hear people's thoughts or experiences
icon_biggrin.gif

Hi Allaboutcakeuk, how was your experience with the cake mixes? I've just got myself a wholesale account, purchased the craigmillar chocolate sponge cake mix and it's terrible.  I'm thinking about getting the Macphie mixes next time.  Are you still using them? is there any tips/hints you can give me? I'm a bit nervous at spending this amount on a cake mix again, and ending up with a box of useless powder.  You're more than welcome to PM if you prefer xx

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 12:34am
post #18 of 25

You can always say "I mixed it from fresh ingredients in my kitchen and baked it just for your order"

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 12:41am
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sccandwbfan 

Except one wouldn't put the 14-letter long preservatives in the cake.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 3:00am
post #20 of 25

I just LOVE all the rationalizations, weaving, and dodging in this thread. While I am passionate about scratch baking, I don't consider box mixes cheating. Even doctored mixes can get bungled judging by some of the threads we see here. It's a different kind of baking, but let's leave it at that mmkay? And please, cake mix is more than just sugar and flour. Rolling my eyes all the way back on that one. 

Why can't folks just call it as it is? If a person bakes from a mix, then own it. No need to tweak the truth and play on words. 

And before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, I don't mean for my tone to be disrespectful, but it gets my panties in a wad icon_lol.gif when folks want to rationalize and bend words. If box-mix baking is so embarrassing then for crying out loud do it the way you find not-embarrassing. I'm losing circulation to my legs now. Need to go untangle my  lace.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 3:22am
post #21 of 25

What ???? this thread is 2 yrs. old.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 3:52am
post #22 of 25

Don't get me wrong, I use box mixes too!

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 5:08am
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101 

What ???? this thread is 2 yrs. old.

Good catch. The last couple of responses are pretty recent though. And no matter the age of the thread, the debate will always be FRESH icon_twisted.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 5:09am
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgcea 

I just LOVE all the rationalizations, weaving, and dodging in this thread. While I am passionate about scratch baking, I don't consider box mixes cheating. Even doctored mixes can get bungled judging by some of the threads we see here. It's a different kind of baking, but let's leave it at that mmkay? And please, cake mix is more than just sugar and flour. Rolling my eyes all the way back on that one. 

Why can't folks just call it as it is? If a person bakes from a mix, then own it. No need to tweak the truth and play on words. 

And before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, I don't mean for my tone to be disrespectful, but it gets my panties in a wad icon_lol.gif when folks want to rationalize and bend words. If box-mix baking is so embarrassing then for crying out loud do it the way you find not-embarrassing. I'm losing circulation to my legs now. Need to go untangle my  lace.

It has everything to do with perception.  Because anyone can go to the grocery store and bake their own cake from a mix, they perceive that somehow they're getting taken advantage of when they pay more money for a bakery cake only to find out it's 'come from a box'.  Like anyone can do it!    You're automatically looked down upon.  Only the baker knows what efforts go into producing a quality cake...even from a mix...so I fully understand the dilemma and hesitation to even address the subject. 

If someone asks me I always say   'It depends on the cake. Some recipes are scratch...some are based on mixes.  I use the recipe that provides the best quality for the kind of cake you're looking for." 

Which is true. 

Nornni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nornni Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 8:23am
post #25 of 25

AHello, am new here, don't know how this site works tried accessing my personal page to update don't know if that exist here, need direction please.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%